Chapter-17

"We are not going to take too much time in the lawyer's office. If we become late our parents at home will feel worry about us." Mounika said.

"Nothing happens if we become little late on one day." Jasmine said. "Anyhow we do try to finish our business as fast as possible there."

They reached that place soon. Luckily lawyer Mangal Rao was in his chamber and he looked both the girls without any delay as there were not many clients were waiting at that time.

"Who you both and what you want from me?" looking inquiringly into the faces of both girls he asked.

"Did a couple by names Sudhakar and Prameela met you for divorce?" Mounika asked him straight.

He pondered for sometime as if to remember something and then said, "Yes I remember. They both met me together. They want to take divorce by way of mutual consent."

"I am their daughter Mounika. Did they say anything about me?"

"What?" Mangal Rao startled on hearing that. "Yes, they said they have a daughter. That much I remember now."

"Yes, I am that daughter." Mounika nodded her head.

"First of all what do you want?" he asked her straightly.

"I don't want them to take divorce. I want them together all the time."

Mangala Rao laughed on hearing that. "I also just want that. I don't see any reason for their taking divorce like that. There are no serious accusations whatsoever between them both. I just don't know why they are that much desperate to be separated."

"Have you prepared necessary papers for their divorce?" this time Jasmine asked him.

"Not yet. They met me only once. I said to them to think once again deep and meet me again. If they meet me again and still on that decision to take divorce, I cannot help it. I have to prepare papers." He paused for a moment and then asked again. "Anyhow who are you?"

"She is my close friend Jasmine. We both are classmates and studying ninth class. She gave me the suggestion to meet you." Mounika said.

"Yes, I promised Mounika that I do see that her parents not to take divorce. You very well know how much children will struggle if their parents take divorce." Jasmine said.

"You promised her that?" Mangala Rao laughed again. "How you could promise like that?" looking amusingly at Jasmine he asked.

"I just cannot bear if my friends suffer for anything. So I made a promise like that to her. Now I am moving heaven and earth to keep it." Jasmine said.

"I must appreciate you. How nice it have been if I have a friend like you!" he paused for a moment before saying. "Yes, I know very well how much children would struggle if their parents divorced. But it is happening quite often that parents who are having children are taking divorce."

"Is there any way that Mounika file a petition in the court restraining her parents from taking divorce?"

"No way like that. But she can have the choice in deciding at which parent to live with."

"It is just like choosing one of my eyes." Mounika said

"You are right. But I don't know how to help you in this. Your parents are so much desperate in taking divorce. If they come to me with the decision to take divorce, I cannot stop them at all. If I say a 'no', they do go to another lawyer." Mangala Rao helplessly said.

"Please don't say a 'no' to them." Jasmine hastily said.

Mangala Rao and Mounika also looked at Jasmine surprisingly.