44. Going Out to Eat

The steakhouse was crowded, but that was to be expected on a Sunday evening. Scar told them how many people their group had and then they stood off to the side to wait for a table, chatting.

Dream seemed a lot happier now that Puffy was here and Scar was glad to see him in such a good mood. Scar already liked Puffy, she was funny and strong-willed, and she clearly cared a lot about Dream. She liked telling stories and Scar found it interesting, comparing her Air Force stories with Doc's Army ones. Puffy had a very long and rewarding career. Scar was happy for her.

When they were seated, Puffy and Dream took the same side of a table and Scar sat across from them. Puffy got her phone out, holding it out to Scar.

"Can you take a picture of us?" she asked.

Scar nodded and accepted the phone, which already had the camera app open.

Dream looked a little unsure, but he leaned in when she wrapped an arm around him.

"Come on, haven't seen you in ten years, I have to get a picture," Puffy said.

"Okay," Dream said.

Scar waited until they were both smiling at the camera, then took a picture. Then he switched to the front-facing camera and turned so that he could get a picture of all three of them, then handed the phone back while Puffy laughed.

"There," Scar said.

"Great, thanks!" Puffy looked at the pictures, then showed them to Dream. "I like this one with Scar in it. What do you think?"

"Yeah, it's cute," Dream said. "Can you send it to me?"

"Sure. Do you mind if I put this on Facebook? I won't tag our location or anything but I really want to share it. My parents would love to see it."

"Well... okay. Sure," Dream agreed.

Scar got out his own phone, opening Facebook and looking Puffy up so he could send her a friend request. He wanted to share the picture too once she posted it.

Puffy glanced at him with a knowing smile and approved the request. Scar waited for her to post the photo and immediately liked and shared it.

"You kids and your phones," Dream said, rolling his eyes.

Scar balled up a napkin and threw it at him. Dream stuck his tongue out at him, then picked up the drinks menu. He flipped through it, then looked away and sighed, putting it down.

"Never mind. I just remembered, I was told not to drink alcohol for like a full day before my appointment," Dream said.

"Oh, darn," Scar said.

"Designated driver!" Puffy said, nudging Dream.

"I have no clue how to drive around here," Dream said.

"That's why I have a GPS," Scar replied. Dream gave him a nervous look and Scar laughed. "I'm kidding. I might have one drink but I'll still be able to drive. Puffy, help yourself. But Dream... yeah, probably best not to. I'm sorry."

"Eh." Dream shrugged and pulled over the regular menu.

A server soon arrived to get their drink orders and ask if they wanted appetizers. Scar ordered cheese fries to the table to snack on and then asked for a margarita while Puffy chose a glass of one of the white wines. Dream got tea.

The server went to put the order in and the three looked for what they wanted to eat, discussing options. It eventually turned into Puffy telling them about the chow hall when she was in basic training and how they'd serve grilled cheese for lunch every Sunday. It wasn't that great, but still, it was grilled cheese. Might as well indulge.