19. A Good Car

Scar was back to work the next day and Dream kinda missed him, but at least it was Friday. He would have the weekend with him. He wondered what Scar liked to do with his weekends.

Before leaving the house, Scar had let Dream know that his housekeeper came by on Fridays, and Scar had already let her know that Dream was living there now, so she wouldn't be surprised to see him.

Dream was a little nervous about meeting a stranger, but Scar had assured him that Pearl was polite and she would likely be focused on her job more than him.

It was around noon when Dream heard her car pull up in the driveway. He was laying on the couch with his Gameboy, playing a new game of Pokemon, though he was a little annoyed that the cartridge's internal clock had apparently failed. He used to love growing berries and now the mechanic wouldn't work anymore.

He got up when he heard the car, glancing outside to see a woman with brown hair pulled into a ponytail. He decided to go disable the alarm, and scooped Jellie up in an arm so she wouldn't run out when he opened the door.

Pearl greeted him when she came in, then gave Jellie some chin scritches, which made her purr.

"Scar told me about you," Pearl said. "Dream, right?"

"Yeah," Dream replied.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Pearl." She reached out to shake his hand, and Dream had to let Jellie down before taking her hand.

"Nice to meet you too," Dream said, and he felt calluses as Pearl squeezed his hand. She must work hard.

Then Pearl let go and said, "You've been all over the news. Pretty big deal. I hope things work out for you."

"Yeah, me too," Dream said.

"I think you've got a pretty good defense. You'll be fine. Well, I have some cleaning to get to. Don't mind me." Pearl headed through the house with a casual familiarity, and Dream realized Scar already owned plenty of cleaning supplies, he merely hired her to use them.

Dream felt like he wouldn't mind having a job like that.

While Pearl tidied up, Dream kept playing his game, though he felt weird about just letting someone else clean while he did nothing. It was her job but he felt like he should help.

Pearl came into the living room to wipe down the coffee table, then dusted a few areas, before going over to carefully clean the TV screen. She spent some time at Jellie's cat tree, cleaning fur off it, and Jellie jumped right back in as soon as she was done.

Dream could tell Pearl was thorough. And she seemed to enjoy her job, looking cheerful as she went about her tasks. She was wearing earbuds so she could be listening to energetic music or something funny, but she seemed like she just had a positive attitude in general.

She left the room, making her way through the house, and Dream focused on his game. He didn't really need to catch this Skitty, but he liked to complete his Pokedex as much as possible.

Dream didn't hear from Pearl again for several minutes, then she poked her head in and called, "I'm gonna start vacuuming."

"Okay," Dream replied, finger going to the volume slider, but it was already all the way up. Alright then.

He heard the vacuum turn on and Jellie hissed, ears flattening.

"Aw, Jellie," Dream said, waving for her to come over. "It's okay, want me to protect you?"

She didn't move, just looking unhappy about the noise from the hall. When Pearl came in with the vacuum, Jellie jumped down and ran from the room.

"Bye, Jellie," Pearl said. She worked her way efficiently through the room, and Dream helped shift the coffee table so she could vacuum under it, which she thanked him for. Once she was done and took the vacuum to the next room, Jellie scurried back in.