13. Grief

Dream felt like his heart just completely stopped. A coldness swept over him and he barely remembered to keep breathing. He stared blankly ahead, hands starting to shake as a horrible sensation twisted in his chest. All he could say was, "What?"

Puffy sounded like she might be fighting back tears as she said, "I'm so sorry. I would have told you when it happened, but none of us could get in touch with you. We thought you might... might hear it on the news instead, but..."

"I avoid the news. Puffy..." Dream pressed his other hand to his face, unable to keep the tears from springing to his eyes, that awful feeling in his chest continuing to build. "What happened?" He didn't want to believe it. His mother had been healthy. What could have happened to her within four years of Dream leaving?

"She died in childbirth."

Dream dropped his hand from his face, slamming it to the covers. "What?" he questioned, and his breathing started to hitch. He quickly wiped away the tears but they wouldn't stop. "Childbirth?"

"Yes. I'm still not sure of the exact story, I didn't think they wanted more but Schlatt told the public they've always wanted more kids, it just took a while for Hemera to get pregnant again. Personally, I think it was unplanned for. Still, they kept the child. But..." Puffy's voice grew strained. "She started having complications. She was really sickly toward the end, it was a huge strain on her, but Schlatt convinced her to just ride it out. I was worried about her, my advice was to put her health first and terminate, but of course, Schlatt was too worried about his damn politics to let her do that. So she carried all the way to term, but it... it was bad." Puffy took a few deep breaths and Dream knew she was having to compose herself. He wasn't sure how he had managed to keep from breaking down yet. But it was probably coming.

After a few moments, Puffy continued, "I was there at the hospital with them. I wanted to be there to help Hemera through it, I considered her a sister to me, but... she started bleeding too much. Far too much. Her blood pressure dropped so fast. She wasn't able to deliver properly and they had to do an emergency c-section. The baby... your younger sister, she was okay. They saved her. They... fought for Hemera too, and for a few hours, it seemed hopeful. But then we lost her. Her heart just gave out. I'm so sorry. I wish I wasn't having to tell you this."

The phone fell from Dream's hand. He couldn't hold onto it anymore. He wrapped his arms tightly around his knees, burying his face against them as he sobbed. He could faintly hear Puffy's voice coming from the phone, trying to comfort him, but he couldn't bring himself to pick the phone back up.

Gone. His mother was gone, and he never got to see her one last time. He couldn't say goodbye. He couldn't be with the family during such a hard time.

He cried until his throat hurt, until his face was a mess of tears but he simply couldn't cry anymore. He sniffed, glancing toward the phone to see that Puffy hadn't hung up, and he wondered if she was still listening or if she had just set her phone down somewhere.

He felt weak as he reached over for the phone, bringing it to his ear. "Puffy?" he asked, wincing at how hoarse his voice sounded.

"Yeah? I'm here," she said immediately.

"I'm sorry, maybe I should have hung up..."

"You don't need to apologize, it's okay. I understand. I was a wreck when it happened, Schlatt too. I had to keep him from just drowning his sorrows. Told him his daughter needs him. And you know... he's been a pretty good dad to her. He's still so busy with work, he can't see her often, but he's trying. But he also still drinks. I wish he'd stop, but he insists he's only doing it in moderation." She sighed. "I don't think he'll ever go completely sober. Honestly that would probably kill him at this point."