20. Old Friends

Scar arranged for Ren to tow Dream's car on Saturday morning shortly before noon. Ren drove his pickup truck with its ridiculous wench, backing it up to Dream's car and getting to work hooking it up.

"Have you ever had a car just fall off while towing it?" Dream asked as he watched Ren work.

"A few times, happens to everyone," Ren replied. "But not any time lately. Last time it happened, it was because the piece I attached it to completely tore off and left the car in the middle of the highway while I dragged a hunk of rusty metal behind me. And that's why you always need to double-check your tow points. I usually use towing straps these days but your car's got a pretty solid frame still, she can take being towed without for a few miles." Ren patted the bumper.

Dream nodded but didn't say anything. He's been quiet all morning, but Scar understood. This hadn't just been a vehicle, it was his home, and now he was about to drop it off somewhere and leave it forever.

When Ren finished hooking up the car and hauled it up with the wench, he checked where he had attached the hook, examining it for several moments before nodding in satisfaction.

"It's sturdy. Alright, we ready to go?" Ren asked.

Dream nodded and Scar said, "Yeah, let's go. Dream, you wanna ride shotgun, or sit in the back?"

"Oh, uh. The back is fine." Dream followed them to Ren's truck, getting in behind Scar's seat while Scar took the front.

Scar could tell that Dream was anxious about riding in a new vehicle. Luckily, Ren was a pretty safe driver, especially if he was towing something. It was Doc who was the maniac.

Dream stayed quiet as Ren started driving, looking out the window and fiddling with his registration. Scar glanced at Ren, who gave him an awkward look. Then Ren said, "So, Dream. Doing alright?"

"Yeah, I guess," Dream replied.

"I saw the news about the break-in, and you defending Scar. It was crazy. Thank you for helping him."

Scar watched through the rearview mirror as Dream's cheeks flushed. "Oh, uh. No problem. It was really scary though."

"I bet it was. But you did what you had to do. You were really brave."

Dream didn't seem to know what to say. He looked out the window again, messing with his hair.

"He doesn't like to talk about what happened too much," Scar said quietly to Ren. "It was really rough."

"Yeah, I get it," Ren said. "Sorry for bringing it up, then."

"It's okay," Dream replied. "Sometimes I still can't believe that was something that actually happened to me. It doesn't seem real. But it did happen. I wouldn't be going to court if it didn't."

"Going through something like that is hard. But you'll be okay. Mumbo is representing you and he's amazing, and you've got Scar here to give you as many free hugs and kisses as you want." Ren gave Scar's shoulder a playful shake.

Dream looked toward Scar, still blushing. "He does give... really nice hugs."

"Aw," Scar said. "Thank you. And you're very nice to hug. I like how even though you're a little taller than me, you always move so that your head is on my chest or under my chin, I just really enjoy that. It's so cozy."

"It feels nice, when you hold me like that," Dream said. "Feels... safe." He hunched his shoulders, looking a little embarrassed. "Haven't really kissed him though, at least, not on the lips. But he has... kissed my cheek."

"Scandalous," Ren teased. "Of course you don't have to do anything you don't want to. But you should just know, Scar is a great kisser."

Scar smiled, pleased by the compliment. He saw Dream briefly make eye contact with him through the rearview mirror and then look away, flustered. Scar wouldn't mind kissing Dream on the lips, but he wanted to make sure Dream was ready before taking that step. Maybe he was, he hadn't moved away when Scar had kissed his cheek at the Wolf Den. Even as Scar teased like he was going to kiss his lips next, Dream had stayed still for him, and maybe it was imagination, but Scar thought he might have even shifted like he was going to kiss him before changing his mind.