24. Time Apart, Time Together

Scar could do nothing but watch as Dream covered his face and ran away. He could have grabbed for him, even chased after him, but he felt rooted in place as he watched the other leave. He listened as Dream went up the stairs and into his room, then sighed, running his hand through his hair and feeling lost.

"Meow," Jellie called, getting up from where she was lying and walking over to the edge of the couch cushion. She nosed at Scar's hand and he idly petted her, but kept looking toward the hall where Dream had run.

Scar didn't know what had gone wrong, exactly. Dream had seemed comfortable and happy, he didn't even seem that bothered when Scar almost kissed him. But then they had started talking, close and intimate, and Dream said he wasn't like Scar and Doc... then his mood had changed. He had frozen, looking scared, and the fear in his eyes made Scar's chest ache.

Scar could only guess it was Doc's presence that triggered it. Dream was too shy to talk about his feelings in front of someone who was, despite how well they got along, still practically a stranger.

Dream had gotten so used to hiding who he was. Scar hadn't expected him to open up that easily, but at the same time... once he started talking, Scar thought he would be okay. But no. He just wasn't ready for it yet.

He thought about the last thing Dream had told him. That he liked him. And just before running, he had said Scar was perfect. It made Scar feel warm and fuzzy inside, he wanted to continue that conversation, but he was sure Dream was too upset for it now.

Scar turned and picked up the bowl Dream had left on the coffee table, then turned off the TV before going to the kitchen. He washed the bowl out, scrubbing a little aggressively, and told himself to relax. It was okay. Dream has been dealing with a lot lately, he was easily overwhelmed, and Scar just wanted to give him a little bit of space.

He had hoped to take Dream out today, it was Sunday and Scar wanted to take him to the mall, but Dream probably wouldn't be up for it now.

When the bowl and spoon were washed, Scar dropped them into the strainer and headed upstairs. He glanced toward Dream's door but didn't go in, instead going over to his bed and lying down with a sigh. He felt bad about how things had gone, but in a way, it was progress too. Dream was learning how to talk about his feelings and identity, which he could never do as a kid. Scar was sure he would one day be able to talk about it confidently. But everyone had to start somewhere.

Scar got his phone out, fiddling with it as he considered messaging his friends for advice. But in the end, he decided not to. This was something between him and Dream, he didn't want to bring the others into it.

Scar put the phone on his nightstand and got up, going over to his computer. Maybe he could bring it to Dream and let him talk to his friends.

Scar shifted the mouse and waited for the screen to turn on, and he looked over his wallpaper before starting to open his Internet browser. Then he noticed an unfamiliar icon on the screen and moved the mouse back to it. Discord.

Scar was familiar with the program, a couple of his friends had mentioned it before, but they didn't feel a need to use it. Still, Scar knew he hadn't installed it himself. Which meant Dream must have added it. His friends probably invited him onto it.

Scar unplugged the laptop and picked it up, bringing it and its cable over to Dream's room. He knocked lightly on the door.

"Hey, Dream?" he called, keeping his voice gentle, wanting to sound reassuring.

He heard the bed creak and then footsteps came over. "Uh, yeah?" Dream asked, opening the door.

Scar could tell Dream had been crying but didn't draw attention to it. Scar turned the laptop so Dream could see the screen. "You added this Discord program, right?"