32. The Omnibus Hearing

Scar's heart was warmed by the sight of Dream sleeping peacefully in his arms. Dream has gotten so comfortable around him and Scar was glad he felt safe enough to fall asleep next to him like this.

Scar wasn't tired, so he stayed awake, keeping Dream bundled in an arm while using his phone with his free hand. He was mostly texting Cub, making sure things were going well back at the office. When not texting, he was scrolling through social media, or just looking up random things to entertain himself. He was still annoyed about that article he saw, but was trying not to think about it. When he looked at more local articles, opinions of him were still generally favorable. There was no need for him to let Schlatt get to him.

Scar put the phone aside after a while and rested back, looking up at the ceiling as he simply let his mind wander. He thought about how he wanted to spend this weekend. Might just be very lazy. He could sleep in and then spend all day in his pajamas. Maybe order in Chinese food. And he could just watch random movies or maybe a show, and cuddle with Dream on the couch.

Scar smiled and drew Dream closer to him, petting his hair and along the back of his neck. Dream made a small noise but stayed asleep. He looked so cozy that it made Scar want to sleep too. He wasn't sure he'd be able to, but he certainly wasn't going to move until Dream got up, and he was already tired of using his phone. So... maybe he would just try to sleep.

Scar laid there quietly until he started dozing off himself, but it wasn't too much longer that Dream began waking up, which snapped him back to alertness as well.

"Mm, sorry, didn't mean to fall asleep," Dream said, voice a little ragged. He blinked sleepily at Scar and Scar could only fall more in love with him. He touched Dream's face gently, brushing a thumb along his cheek and over the scar there, before kissing it tenderly. Dream blinked, then blushed brightly, though he didn't pull back.

"It's fine," Scar hummed, drinking in all Dream's little reactions to him. "Nothing wrong with a little midday nap."

"Yeah. Didn't think I'd be so drained from just going to two places, but..." Dream shrugged, then yawned.

"If you're not used to it, it can be very draining," Scar said. "You seem like a bit of an introvert too. You just can't do a lot of human interaction before needing to go home and recharge. I get it."

"Yeah, that's... basically it. I don't mind going out. I just wouldn't want to spend all day out around people," Dream chuckled. "I used to get so overwhelmed in school, as soon as I got home I'd go right to my room and do my homework. Didn't even want to talk to my parents immediately. Just... needed time to myself."

"It's like that sometimes. And that's okay. Any time you just wanna get away from things, let me know. I'll give you space to yourself."

Dream nodded, then got a shy look on his face as he said, "I don't mind you being here, though. It doesn't feel like effort, being around you."

"Aw. You're sweet." Scar kissed between his eyes, then hugged him closer. "But even if you get tired of me, that's okay too. No matter how you're feeling, just talk to me about it. I'll understand."

"Okay."

Though they were both awake now, they were in no hurry to get up. Dream kept laying against him and Scar was happy to keep holding him. They chatted about the upcoming weekend, and Dream talked a little about what his old friends have been up to. He sounded so fond when he talked about them and Scar wished they could come visit too. Maybe they could. They seemed pretty well off and it would be good for Dream to have their support.

Scar then pointed out that Pearl would be arriving to tidy up the house soon, and Dream nodded.

"She seems really nice," Dream said, pulling back from Scar and getting up.