8. Doctor's Visit

Scar saw a number of emotions flit over Dream's face in response to the question, and hoped he hadn't sprung this on him too suddenly.

"You want me... to move in with you?" Dream asked hesitantly.

"Yes," Scar replied. "With everything going on, you're going to need a home address. And you'll need a little more time to recover once you're out of the hospital, and the cops are also going to want to know exactly where you're at in the days leading up to your court appearance, so... I think it'll just be easier if you stay at my house. And once everything is settled, then I can help you move somewhere else. I promise this comes with no obligation. You don't have to do chores or anything, I have a lady who does that once a week anyway, you can just relax, alright? Relax and get better."

"I don't know, it's your house, I don't want to get in the way," Dream said, shrinking back a bit. He looked disbelieving, like he thought Scar was messing with him.

"You won't be in the way," Scar said. "It's a big place. I can give you a guest bedroom, you can do your own thing. I'm sure Jellie would like the company while I'm at work."

Dream smiled a little at that. Scar knew he already liked Jellie, and had even apparently petted her when he snuck into the house. Jellie was a good judge of character.

"If you're sure it's okay," Dream said slowly.

"Of course! I wouldn't be inviting you to live with me if it wasn't okay! You'll heal so much better if you have somewhere comfortable to stay. And I'll enjoy having company as well." Scar stroked Dream's hand and the other blushed.

"That's very nice of you. Um, yeah, I can stay with you for a bit. Thanks." Dream wasn't quite making eye contact now, looking flustered.

Scar knew that was probably a lot for Dream to think about right now, so he tried to think of a different topic. "So, your arm's already healing pretty good, I've heard. You might even be able to leave sooner than the two weeks."

"I hope so," Dream said. "It's so boring here, even with the TV. I don't like laying around like this. I usually walk around exploring the town, finding parks and stuff to hang out at, going into stores and looking at all the neat stuff I can't buy. They let me go outside for a bit yesterday afternoon, but Bad stayed with me in case I fell or something. But that was still nice."

"I bet," Scar agreed. "It was a sunny day, it probably felt nice."

Dream nodded. "I think Dr. Awede was going to come by today to talk to me? But I don't know when."

"Who knows." Scar got comfortable in his usual chair. "Weekend's coming up, how would you feel about me staying here with you?"

"Really?" Dream stared, taken aback. "You'd be so bored."

"Nah, I'll have you to talk to. And I can certainly entertain myself. I don't mind hanging out." Scar took in the apprehension on the other's face and said, "But if that's a little too much, I understand. I can stay home and just visit for a bit each day."

"I like seeing you," Dream said quietly, looking down. "Just... it might be weird, having you here all the time. And I'm sure you've got things to do."

"Eh." Scar shrugged. "Nothing that can't wait. Though, actually, I wouldn't be able to physically be here the whole weekend. I'd have to go back home once a day to take care of Jellie. But then I can be here. We can just hang out, we don't need to talk! I can bring my laptop, you can watch TV, but it'd still be nice having each other nearby, huh?"

After a few moments, Dream nodded. "Yeah. I think I'd like that."

They talked for a bit longer about Dream moving in, and then slipped into a comfortable silence with each other as they watched TV. Scar held Dream's slim hand in his and marveled at how much touch Dream allowed. It wasn't like he was just tolerating it either. Any time Scar rested his hand on the bed, it was like Dream's sought out his. He curled his fingers easily through Scar's when Scar reached for him. Scar may not have known Dream long, but he could tell that under that tired, wary exterior was someone who craved contact. Dream seemed to have plenty of affection to share, but was scared to show it. But after what he's been through, Scar could understand him being reserved. Scar was looking forward to being able to hang out with him outside of here, to maybe give Dream a chance to come out of his shell.