28. Cozy Days

Scar was positively giddy as he drove home. He hadn't expected Dream to talk to him about their relationship like that, but he was proud of him for going for it. It was a discussion Scar had wanted to have and it had gone so well. Scar had a feeling Dream would likely continue to be shy about certain things, but he would keep offering him reassurance and patience, knowing that Dream responded positively when Scar gave him the space to figure things out for himself.

Scar thought about their time at the mall and his chest glowed warmly as he thought of Dream as his boyfriend. From the moment he first saw Dream, shaken and injured after protecting him, he was smitten to some degree. Still, when he proposed that they pretend to be in a relationship to help Dream's case, he hadn't expected to truly fall for him the way he has. But as days passed he realized how easily Dream seemed to fit into his life. He felt comfortable with him, he found him cute and sweet, and he only grew fonder every time Dream opened up to him and told him about his life and his interests.

They were an unlikely match, but Scar was so happy fate had brought them together. Dream may have intended to steal from him that day, but in the end, all he stole was Scar's heart. And now, Dream had tentatively offered his own heart in return. Scar was going to cherish it.

When they got home, Scar turned off the security system and stepped inside, Dream following after him with his various purchases from the mall. Scar paused there in the living room, wrapping Dream into a hug. Dream's hands were full, so he couldn't really hug back, but he did lean into Scar in response.

Scar squeezed him close, sighing happily at the warmth of their bodies pressing together, and he kissed the side of Dream's neck.

Dream made a flustered noise then, shifting away. Scar let go, not wanting to make him uncomfortable, and Dream stepped back and looked at him with a bright blush. Then he cleared his throat and said, "I uh. Need to take my stuff upstairs. Then I'll probably... go to bed. Long day."

"Totally fine, get your rest," Scar said. "Just don't forget your medicine. And your exercises."

"Yeah. I'm doing it, don't worry." Dream checked that he had his stuff, then headed for the stairs.

"Goodnight," Scar called and Dream called it back. Scar ended up following him up, but only to go to his room so he could get his pajamas back on and drop off his keys and wallet. He petted Jellie, who was stretched out on one of his pillows. Then he went back downstairs with his phone, sprawling out on the couch and bringing up his group chat with his friends. He had to tell them all about his progress with Dream today.

They congratulated him on the relationship becoming official, and Grian expressed interest in meeting Dream some time. Scar promised that he wanted Dream to get to know all of them.

They chatted for a while, but it was Sunday evening and most of them in the chat had work tomorrow, so slowly conversation stopped as people went to bed. Scar decided to turn in too. He went back upstairs, setting his alarm on his phone and setting it on the bed next to him as he laid down.

Jellie meowed quietly and moved closer to him, and he petted her gently. Scar gave her room to tuck herself under his arm, then let himself drift off. He thought about Dream, wishing he could be cuddled up with him right now, but he was okay with this. He was hopeful that one day, they would be able to share a bed, but for now, he was content knowing Dream loved him. There was no need to rush anything.

Scar fell asleep to pleasant thoughts about his new partner, hoping he was sleeping well too.

A couple days passed casually. Scar went to work and would return home to see Dream on the couch, one day watching TV, and another time playing his Gameboy. And each time, Dream would greet him, looking happy to see him, and it would immediately lighten Scar's heart. The stress of the day would just melt away. Scar would go over to the couch and lean over to kiss Dream's cheek, then go upstairs to change out of his work clothes before returning to cuddle up next to Dream and talk to him about his day. It was lovely and work seemed easier to manage knowing he had someone to come home to.