Brooklyn ~33~

[TW: Panic attacks, mentions of abuse, implications of rape.]

A few days passed since that night. Callan had landed me back home, where Milo nearly blew my head off with questions. I reassured him I was okay and that they treated me wonderfully. That seemed to sort of calm his mind but it surely didn't stop him from asking for details. My phone chimed multiple times with messages checking in on me. Atticus was the most consistent one.

That Monday, I walked out of my apartment, ready to pick up the bouquet that was waiting for me. However, instead of flowers, I found a small basket. Inside the basket were cookies of multiple flavors. Chocolate chip, red velvet, peanut butter, sugar cookies, etc. The little note on it read "Here's your cookies, baby girl." With Atticus's signature at the bottom. Two white roses with Callan and Zachary's signatures lying on the top.

Work was the usual, editing photos, making package orders, sending emails, etc. Robert had given us a half day since it was his birthday and his wife basically forced him to give a half day. No one complained, wishing him a happy birthday before leaving.

I walked through the gymnasium, waiting for Rosie to come tell me goodbye. After a few minutes, Myra saw me waiting and told me she hadn't come in to class today. I left and drove to the shelter after realizing that I hadn't visited in a while.

Parking in the spot I always used to park, I walk into the shelter. I froze in my tracks, watching chaos ensue. It looked like a movie came to life in here, Milo chased after two puppies as an employee I've never met chased after a Macaw. Nearly five hamsters ran from the chaos. Or were they gerbils?

"What the hell happened in here?" A familiar voice shouted from behind me, making me tense. Milo and the employee stopped in their tracks and stared at us. Milo's eyes lit up when he made eye contact with me, but when they drifted to the boss man behind me, they widened.

I step out of his way, crouching to pick up one of the puppies who decided it was a good idea to try and pee on my shoe. He began to bite my fingers playfully, making me chuckle softly. I flinched when the Macaw landed on my head.

I looked over at Callan who was watching me with a small smile, a look of relief on his face. When he realized I was looking at him, the smile slipped from his face and he stared at the other two.

"Start explaining before I start firing." He ordered, making all three of us flinch. I excuse myself and walk into the back, placing the puppy into a kennel and setting the macaw onto a perch in the bird room. When I walk back out, I hear Callan scolding Milo and the young girl. I stayed still, listening to the rough words.

He wasn't talking to me. So why did I feel like I was on the other end of the scolding? I walk out again, letting the other puppy run up to me. I pick him up, spotting the little rodents together in a corner. I walk back into the back, placing the puppy with its friend. I notice Milo and the girl walk into the back holding the rodents. Seeing them up close, I realized they were hamsters.

"You two okay?" I ask quietly, seeing the girl on the verge of tears. Milo sighed and nodded, shoulder-bumping the girl. Her name tag read Lily. They placed the Hamsters back into the little crate they came in, making sure everything was locked.

"First time meeting him and now she's dead scared of him." Milo sighs, rubbing his hand over her back soothingly. I give her a small smile.

"Oh don't be. He acts all tough but he's really sweet. He loves animals, you see. So seeing the chaos made him panic a little." I say. Was it pure nonsense? Yup. Did it help her calm down? Yup.

"Wait, you're not supposed to be back here!" She panics, making me chuckle. I explained to her that I used to work here and I'm a regular volunteer. That seemed to help her relax further.