Brooklyn ~6~

"Alright, I want that done for next week Monday. Enjoy your weekend." Prof. Everest dismissed the class. I stayed in my seat, going over what I needed to tell him over and over again. "You're in space again."

I looked up at him in confusion, realizing everyone was gone now. He stood right in front of my desk, leaning against his arms that were perched against it.

"Just thinking." I mumble, he gives me a small smirk and then nods. He leaned forward a little, his eyes running over my face, searching for something. I wasn't the prettiest of girls, but I wasn't ugly either. Or at least, that's what I tell myself. Feeling self-conscious, I drop my head slightly, hiding my face.

"Are you thinking about the jobs?" He asked after a few beats, using his pinky to move a strand of my hair from my face to see me.

"In a way." I mumble. I check my watch and sigh softly. "Sir, if I may speak freely..."

"Always." He said, lower than his usual tone. His eyes were a little more relaxed too, his normally bright green eyes were a darker shade.

"I have an interview at 4 today. Which means I won't be able to stay here for your tutoring." I say, my voice getting smaller with each syllable. I looked up at him to gauge a reaction, only to see him spaced out staring at me. "Professor..?"

"Very well." He stood up straight and blinked a little fast, looking out the window for a second and then back at me. "Let me just iron a few things out, Miss Elisa. I don't like it when people cancel things at the very last second. The only reason that I'm not making you miss that interview is because I want to see you succeed." He said, crossing his arms over his chest.

I nod softly, biting my cheek. He looked at my mouth, watching me chew away at the flesh.

"Stop that." He said sternly, making me stop. He sighed and rubbed his forehead. "Don't make me regret excusing you."

Déjà vu.

It's a funny thing really, to feel like you've experienced something before in that exact detail only to realize it was your first time.

Like walking over a bridge only to fall into the water, looking over your shoulder to see that the bridge was just in your imagination. That's a bad way to explain it.

I wonder what the opposite of Déjà vu is...

To experience something and know you've been in that situation before but you can't remember when.

"What did you say?" I ask softly, tilting my head in confusion. He stared down at me with a puzzled look before something chimed in his mind, making him smirk softly.

"Go get ready for your interview, sweetheart." He said before walking down the little stairs and to his own desk. I left with a sense of uneasiness that I couldn't seem to shake.

~

"You nervous? I'm nervous for you." Myra chuckled, greeting me at the door. I smiled at her as we walked towards the elevators.

"Super nervous. I just hope I make a good impression." I chuckle, Myra turned to me once we were standing by the elevators.

"You're going to do great. You have everything that Ronald looks for in an employee. I have no doubt he'll accept you." She grinned, patting my shoulders and wishing me a bit of good luck. She walked away after, making me sigh nervously.

I stepped into the elevator, scenes of how today would play out running through my mind. The elevator stopped at a different floor, opening to let someone in. My eyes stayed locked on my feet, feeling awkward with another person in the elevator.