Brooklyn ~3~

I pulled into the parking lot and got out, heading into the shelter to check on Scrug before the meeting.

Truth be told, I have no idea where the meeting was held. Mr. Archer had told me he'd tell me the time and place before 10. So here I was at the shelter, 8:37 am to pass the time.

After that email last night, I couldn't sleep properly. I woke up every few minutes to check if there was another email or read the same email over and over again.

Milo didn't need to get up till around 11 so I let him sleep in. I fed Scrug and wiped it down, cleaning the little eyes and ears with a wipe.

I sat in a little corner with Scrug, holding the small thing to my chest. I hoped that it would pull through and we'd be able to put it up for adoption.

I put Scrug back in the incubator and went to the front desk, relieving Macy, our 67-year-old co-worker. I stood by the computer, messing around with a few settings and playing snake.

I heard the bell ring, making me look up. A man walked in with his pit bull, holding the leash as the pup trotted in like it owned the place.

"Hi, welcome to CAS. How may I help you today?" I smile kindly, looking down at the puppy. It was at least a year and a half old. Maybe pushing two.

"Hi. I'm here as a messenger." He murmured, taking something out of his pocket and handing me a folded piece of paper. "Give this to Brooklyn, please."

"Oh I'm-" I bit the inside of my cheek, deciding to keep my mouth shut. "I'll be sure to give it to her."

"Thank you. Let's go, Twinkie." He said, whistling softly and walking out of the building with the dog. Twinkie.

After he left, I opened the note. Biting the inside of my cheek. My eyes scanned over the same written letters as the previous note.

"11:30 am. Rocky Hills café. Dress appropriately. ~C"

Reading it over about 4 different times, I tucked it away and went to find Jen.

"Hey, have you heard of Rocky Hills Café? I'm supposed to meet someone there but I don't know the dress code." I ask her, leaning against the counter, holding the syringe that she handed to me.

"Ooh girl. Rocky Hills is not just a café. That's where only exclusive people can go to brunch with no Paps or fans." She laughed, taking the syringe and poking the dog's neck with it.

"Damn. What's the dress code though? I'll just text and ask if that's the right location." I mumble, petting the puppy to lull him to sleep.

"Business casual. I wish you luck." She chuckled, walking away with the sleeping puppy. I sighed and looked at the time, 9:29.

This was going to be a long wait.

Finally, after waiting an eternity, I took my break and headed back to my apartment. Milo was still fast asleep so I made sure to stay quiet. I showered and changed into something more fitting for the occasion.

A white blouse that was the only one I had with no stains and long black jeans. Combing my hair up.

I left a little note for Milo and left to my car. I put the location into the GPS and began driving, praying I wasn't going to be late.

Pulling into the place, I panic a little, seeing all of the expensive cars. And here I was with my withering away, white, Chevy Prizm.

I pulled into an empty parking lot and sat in my car for a good five minutes before stepping out and walking to the doors of the café. I was stopped by a few guards, asking me for my ID.