22.5 Between a Rock & No Place (pt 2)

*

As the oversized ravens flew closer to them, Tine kept her eyes on them and stepped back again when one of the largest ones let out a gurgling croak that rose into an alarmingly shrill shriek. She bumped into the rock "cave" that Slade led them to. The others crowded near. She looked up at the top of the rock face. Her instinct was to scramble to the highest point and gain higher ground. But the cliff above was so far away, too far. And what was she thinking? The birds would always fly higher to reach me. Us. She turned to Autumnus. His jaw was set and held one hand high, aflame. She turned towards the rock face. She was certain she could use her claws as anchors and climb up, but the others could not. Tine clawed at the craggy rocks, hoping to get some loose to throw. She found that the rocks were loose, and it was pretty easy to pry them out. There were a lot of small rocks, too, which surprised her. A blow to the head should disorient them, at least, she thought, weighing a loose stone in her hand.

Tine looked higher up the cliff wall again. Wait. Why is the cliffside so different up there? She looked to the left, and the right, then stepped back. She hadn't noticed before, but the rocks in the lower center of the cliff were different than the rest of the stone wall before them. Tine tilted her head. The smaller rocks made up an area the size and shape of a cave entrance. Thank Mut! There is a cave, it's just been sealed up!

Illius interrupted with a yell. "Hoooly Sheeet!" He pulled an orb out of his bag and drew back his arm to throw it. Slade grabbed his wrist with one firm hand, and steadied the orb with the other.

"Wait on that, lad" he growled.

"WHYyyy?" Illius wriggled, but could not escape the soldier's grip.

"One. I've seen what chaos you make with these, and I'm not ready to lose a limb. Two—"

Lou interrupted loudly over the raven screeches. "Three. Who gives a damn, you mad bastard?" He pointed needlessly at the giant flock that was only 500 feet from them now. "If we don't fight, we die! I can handle a lot of creatures, but I know even I can't calm that mad flock." He whipped his head in Tine's direction. "And you. You're looking the wrong way, you damn cat. Turn around and be ready fend for yourself already!" He nodded in Autumnus' direction. "I think loverboy has his hands full protecting the elf."

Tine's hair stood up and she growled under her breath. "You f—" Then something caught her eye. Under some branches to one side of the cliff...Could it be? "Never mind, you idiot. Slade was right—this is a cave. It's just been barricaded. "And look, under the branches, there's a tunnel hidden over there!"

Slade dropped Illius' wrist and shooed them in the tunnel's direction. "You heard her, get going, single file. Everyone in! Go, go, go!"

Luna crashed through the thorny brambles with her war hammer and made an opening. The emberbuds hissed at the touch of metal. Tine could feel the wind from the huge, beating wings behind them as she clambered into the dark hole. Don't look back. Just move!
Illius was the last one in. They heard an explosion and a shout before he ducked inside. He slapped his hands together. "I got one! That'll show 'em."

Slade dropped a heavy hand on the boy's shoulder. "...Two: Ravens remember when you kill one of their kind. And will seek their revenge. Always."

The sharp thorns kept the birds out, but they could hear shrieks outside the tunnel's entrance. A beak the size of Viatape poked in. Hala, war hammer ready, swung it like a croquet mallet and knocked the beak out. "Awk, ka,ka, ka!" They heard continued shuffling, scratching and croaking outside.

The cave was dark, but Tine's eyes adjusted in an instant. She could see the tunnel ahead was long and narrow. There seemed to be some panels to each side—doors?—and a small contraption up ahead. But no goblins, yet. Good.

She also saw a boar rump as Viatape ran ahead of them up the tunnel.

Hala held her hand out, "Viatape, no!"

Chapter 23 coming soon!

THIS CHAPTER WAS PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD.COM. IF YOU ARE READING THIS ON ANOTHER SITE, THAT MEANS THIS BOOK WAS PIRATED! PLEASE SUPPORT THE AUTHOR AND READ THE NORTHFELL CURSE BY KAT ISACSON FOR FREE AT WATTPAD.COM INSTEAD. THANK YOU. https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/354915470-the-northfell-curse