14. The Procession of Beautiful Death

Chapter 14 The Procession of Beautiful Death

As they approached, Tine couldn't see the red-hooded figures clearly in waning light, but she knew who—or what—they were: Vulture Mutkin. The fact that there was no moon that night confirmed it; this ceremony was only performed during the new moon. Tine didn't need to see them up close to know that these travelers would walk under the moonless sky, despite the black wings each must have folded at their backs. She knew what the flowers hid in the cart they pushed before them. She knew more than she could forget. And she wished to forget.

Tine stiffened and fought to keep her tail from twitching. Please let them not notice us. She looked up at Autumnus, who was watching the procession, too. I'm not ready for this to end.

Autumnus stood up and waved cheerily. "Hello, there!" He had to shout so they could hear him at their distance. "I think you may want to continue in morning. We heard it's dangerous out here at night!"

The figures stopped pulling the cart, and it was quiet again. The red hoods turned slowly towards them in silence. There was no reply.

Stupid, stupid, sweet demon boy. Tine stood up and grabbed Autumnus' forearm. She kept her voice low. "They won't care about nightfall. This ritual is only done at night." She tugged at him a little. "Maybe we should leave them alone and head back to the others..."

Autumnus wrinkled his nose. "What's that curious smell?" He turned to her. "Do you—ah, yes, of course..." He glanced at her cat nose. "Anyway, it smells bad. But good. But still...really bad, don't you think?"

Tine looked down. "That's because they are bringing an offering to a shrine. That's what's in there." She nodded to the cart, which, from a distance, looked like it was filled with an enormous mound of flowers.

Autumnus coughed into his hand. "Um, yes...but shouldn't an offering like that smell...better, somehow?"

Tine, ears flat, kept her head down. "The flowers are on top of animal corpses. For ceremony. And...and to hide the smell. That's part of the reason it's called The Procession of Beautiful Death."

She looked up to see Autumnus regarding her quizzically. "I did not know you were an expert in such things! How do you know all this?"

Tine shifted her weight and clutched the straps of her backpack. Can't we just leave? I've worked so hard to get away from all of this.

One of the figures tilted its head and slowly walked their way. Tine felt her new life flash before her eyes. This is it. It's all over.

The red hood hung low over the figure's head, obscuring its face, but Tine could still see the hint of a beak and her stomach turned. Tine could tell from its medallion, that the figure was a Vulture Mutkin priestess, and, therefore, female. The priestess continued to approach with slow, methodical steps until she stood in front of Tine.

After a too-long moment, in which Autumnus held back his friendly curiosity for once, the priestess began to address Tine through a series of gestures. Right, they can't speak during the full moon ceremony. For this, she was glad.

A red-ringed hand pointed to Tine, then gestured both palms to the ground before the priestess made a grabbing motion towards her red-cloaked chest. Tine understood perfectly: You are still wanted.

Next, came three signs that made Tine take a step back. A finger pointed at Tine, then to the priestess: Come. Two fists came together at the priestess' chest: With. Forefinger pointed first to one red-garbed shoulder, then the other: Us.

Tine's tail bristled. She was sure she felt Autumnus looking at her; he must be wondering what connection she could possibly have to this gruesome ceremony. She shook her head, No.

The priestess stood still, silent. After ten quick heartbeats, she turned and treaded in slow, measured steps back to the cart. She nodded her cloaked head to the others. In response, they picked up the cart handles and turned away, as they resumed their plodding journey through the forest.

As dusk approached, even the birds quieted and Tine found herself alone with Autumnus in uncomfortable silence. She looked down again and tightened her grip on her pack's straps. She fought the urge to turn her back from him, to keep him farther away from its contents at all costs.

Autumnus turned to her now. As she studied twigs in the dirt of the forest floor, she saw two red hands stretched out to her, palms up. She took his hands and raised her head.

His eyebrows were raised and he fixed her with his gaze, searching for answers. "Tine...I know I've only known you for so long, but..." He looked to the canopy of tree branches. "I have to know. What was all that? What is your connection to..." Autumnus faltered, and looked into her eyes again. "I know it's not really my business, but, please—"

Tine dropped his hands.

She looked down and turned her back to him.

"Undo the clasp at the top." She indicated the backpack.

She felt him open it. Then, with aching slowness, let the pack slide off her, down to the ground.

I can't believe I'm doing this.

Now that the pack was off, it was easy to see what it hid; a pair of small, black wings protruded from her back. She stretched them out with aching slowness. It felt good to have them out of that cramped backpack, but she was terrified. What will he think?

He was quiet. She heard him move, but he didn't say anything. I guess this is when he walks away. She turned around to face Autumnus. She wanted to see him go, at least.

He wasn't walking away, though. Instead, he held the backpack she had adapted to hide her horrible vulture wings. He seemed lost in inspecting it, then looked at her, the pack still in his grasp. "This is ingenious!" He indicated the pack. Then, he frowned "But, why...?"

The tips of Tine's whiskers twitched. "I know what it's like to be hated for who I am, too."

THIS CHAPTER WAS PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD.COM. IF YOU ARE READING THIS ON ANOTHER SITE, THAT MEANS THIS BOOK WAS PIRATED! PLEASE SUPPORT THE AUTHOR AND READ THE NORTHFELL CURSE BY KAT ISACSON FOR FREE AT WATTPAD.COM INSTEAD. THANK YOU. https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/354915470-the-northfell-curse