21. The Worst Element

Chapter 21 The Worst Element

The gruff soldier waved them inside. It was difficult to fit into the tiny house, but somehow, they did. Tine perched on a small table in the corner to give the others more standing room. She hoped it wasn't rude, but everything was so worn, she didn't the old man fussed about such things much.

Once they were somewhat settled, it was Hafoc who spoke first. "So, you know about the kids and what took 'em, eh?" Tine bristled at the coldness in his voice.

Autumnus coughed into a gloved hand. "Um, yes. We were wondering if you had any knowledge or clues as to where they might be."

At the mention of the lost children, the old man collapsed onto the one cushioned chair near a potbelly stove. "You're going after them? So many of us have looked, so many have died... " His eyes looked far off, distant. He focused on Autumnus with steely bright eyes. "But you won't need clues, I'll tell you, lad. The goblins track them off to the Emberlands. A bunch of us tried to get them back, we did, but it was useless...Some of us got stolen, too, some died, some ran away." He looked around at them all, and shrugged." Sure, you can spend the night. But come morning, are you sure you're up for what's next?"

Ilius nodded vigorously. "You bet we are. I'm gonna explode the heads off ALL of those goblins!"

Autumnus nodded as well, though with less youthful exuberance than Ilius had. "We will head to the Emberlands at first light then, don't worry. We will make sure the goblins pay for what was taken. We will also try and return with all those who can still be returned." He tilted his head to read the name embroidered on the soldier's pocket. "You have my word, Slade."

Slade rubbed his chin. "Easier said than done. They've taken too many innocents, and too many of my comrades. You young souls shame me."

He sighed and looked at the rising darkness. "I've been sitting here useless too long. If you want an old ranger and his crossbow by your side, I'll come with you."

"Well, I can't really speak for the whole gang because I sorta just joined up with 'em myself, but if you ask me, the more the merrier." Ilius looked over at Autumnus and the others expectantly.

Hafoc shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome to come, but I can't vouch for yer safety, so I do hope you still know how to use that crossbow," he said, eyes seemingly focused on taking inventory of the room's contents.

Slade patted the insignia on his uniform and said wearily, "Oh, I know how to use it. Too well." He pulled a bottle of something clear from a corner and took a long swig."Don't worry. I consider this a suicide mission that's long overdue."

Hafoc nodded and Tine thought he looked like he held more respect for the old man once he started drinking from the flask.

Kylia smiled at Slade and cast a glance at the nearby table, perhaps hoping to see a bottle of more liquor there. "Your experience is appreciated, as is your hospitality...Do you know anything about the goblins that might be useful for when we go after them, that you remember?"

Lou muttered something under his breath that sounded like, "What about my experience?"

"You are welcome, lass," their host replied to Kylia. He wiped his chin with the back of his hand, and paused, thoughtfully. "I can't say I know much, but I do know this. Not all of what I've seen have been goblins, but hobgoblins. They move in Sergeant formation, in small groups like I've been trained." He took another swig, sort of offered the bottle around in a swift, cursory motion and drank again before continuing. "And that's another problem. They have training."

*

The tiny house was barely furnished. It was a good thing, Tine thought, otherwise, they all wouldn't have been able to fit into the place. Slate went upstairs to the small room and left the rest of them to find a spot to lie down, mostly on the floor. Mut, this isn't much better than sleeping rough outdoors, but at least we're more secure inside, anyway. Except for Viatape. Slade hadn't invited the boar in.

Tine quickly chose the highest spot and curled up on a free table, then regretted it when she saw Autumnus lie down between Hafoc and Hala. He kept his hands on his chest, she noticed. She missed the other night when they lay together for warmth.

Kylia managed to position herself away from the door, and from Lou. It wasn't long before they all had a long rest that lasted until morning.

Then morning came, gray as the task ahead. Everyone grabbed their things and tumbled out of the tiny house. Last one out, the old soldier had packed a satchel and looked ready to go. Tine noticed his bag had his full name stenciled on the side: "Sgt. Johnathan Slade." He slammed the front door shut. It flew open again. He looked at it dourly, took a swig from his flask, and started to walk swiftly away from the house, leaving the door open.

I guess he was serious about not coming back, Tine thought. Slade followed a compass, which read South/Southwest. Without looking behind, he made a broad hand motion for them to follow.

Kylia approached Slade first, asking, "How long is the journey ahead?"

Slade turned to Kylia, arched an eyebrow, and replied with a cool, yet somehow tender, steely voice, "You'll wish it was longer before we're done, Lass."

He then erupted into uncontainable mad laughter as he continued to stride ahead.

Then Slade halted with a jerk. Without turning around, he added, "If you can keep up, we'll get there by sundown. So keep walking."

As they continued on, they entered the heart of the Emberlands. Trees were black and sparse as winter. Where buds should be, were glowing coals, same as before. Tine thought there were more glowing embers on the ground now. She had to be careful where she stepped. Mut, the only thing more awful than water and ice, might be fire. She hoped there wouldn't be much more of it ahead.

She glanced at Autumnus. He seemed truly in his element here. Well, at least it's not cold any more...

Looking up, she saw a swarm of ravens flying in the distance. So many! They were stil a ways off, but they seemed agitated. Looking again, the birds looked a little larger now. The birds flew closer, looking like something out of legends of the end days. Their screeches grew louder, too.

THIS CHAPTER WAS PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD.COM. IF YOU ARE READING THIS ON ANOTHER SITE, THAT MEANS THIS BOOK WAS PIRATED! PLEASE SUPPORT THE AUTHOR AND READ THE NORTHFELL CURSE BY KAT ISACSON FOR FREE AT WATTPAD.COM INSTEAD. THANK YOU. https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/354915470-the-northfell-curse