20. Stealth and Explosions

Chapter 20 Stealth and Explosions

Viatape snorted. It had been a long walk without anything to catch his interest: no edibles, few bushes and very little to smell. But now...something caught his interest. He raised his snout and snuffed. Up ahead by the cluster of stick-like trees, he smelled...something. He didn't know what, but it was definitely something interesting.Whatever it was, he hoped it was tasty. Vaitape glanced behind him at the hoomans, elphs and whatsit two-leggeds. Let them follow. The early boar gets the snack, as they say... He put his nose to the cracked earth and picked up the pace as he broke into a trot further into the coming night. No matter. He could easily smell something 5 miles upwind. The boar life is a good life.

***

In reality, it didn't take very long to catch up to Hafoc, but to Tine, it felt like forever. She could see easily in the dark, as could most of the others, but Lou had a difficult time seeing, and, more importantly, staying quiet.

"Kylia, my meat-slaying muffin, would you be so kind as to lend me your hand to guide me though this desperate, dark night?"

"Shhh." Kylia hissed back. "Keep that bard mouth of yours shut!" She batted away his outstretched hand. "And no. It's only dusk anyway. Just walk carefully and follow along."

"O, cruel temptress, why do you deny me your aid?"

"Shut. Up." Kylia walked faster to put some distance between her and Lou.

Autumnus held out his hand, which was ungloved for once. The black markings on this fingers and long, obsidian nails belied the cheery smile he gave Lou. "Here, you can take my hand. It's no trouble." He lit his other palm ever so slightly for just a moment so Lou could find it.

Lou grumbled thanks, and looked away as he took the Aamonwelp's elbow.

Tine saw Kylia, who now strode next to her, smirk. Well, maybe that'll keep him from bugging her so much...Tine looked back at the crestfallen bard being led by Autumnus, and smiled herself.

They were closer to the house now. Hafoc was nowhere in sight, but Tine saw Illius crouched over by some trees in the vicinity of the building. What in Mut's name is he up to now?

Viatape, who had gone ahead of them, came back, trotting happily with a glittery object in his mouth. He began to parade it around the group proudly until Hala scolded him to "Drop it!"

The boar glumly let it go, and the odd sphere hit the ground with a thunk, before it started to roll back towards the trees.

Still searching, Illius had creeped closer to the group now. He saw the rolling sphere and stood up straight. He shouted "Hey! There it is! It must have fallen when I was jumping around." He shoved his goggles over his and jumped back, yelling, "Get down!"

The glittery sphere rolled into one of the gray-looking trees near the house, and exploded. Luckily, with the warning, no one was harmed.

Lou yelled at Ilius, "What are you packing there, boy?"

Sweating heavily, Ilius scratched the back of his neck. "Ah-hahaha... Just some project... stuff..."

Tine saw Hafoc emerge from behind the house, looking ready for combat. Once he spotted the group standing around idly, he

threw his arms wide in a gesture that screamed a silent cry of indignation. He didn't actually say a word, but the message was loud and clear: "What the FECKING hell!?"

It was difficult to see Hafoc's eyes, but to Tine, it felt like he was staring daggers into them. If something else doesn't kill us, he just might, she thought.

Ilius sheepishly pulled his goggles back over his wild mop of hair and reached into his bag to do a quick inventory. Tine noticed he wandered to the back of the group as he did this. Probably to put some distance between him and the party's irate scout.

Then, the door to the house burst open.

***

Slade was an old man, but he prided himself on being fit. I'll be damned if those hobgobs are going to catch me off guard. I'll kill the lot of them. Unlike the poor farmers, Lt. Johnathan Slade trained his whole life for to survive evil and vanquish it. Except he hadn't been able to get the better of the goblin hoards. Not yet.

He'd been sitting in his dilapidated armchair, drinking whisky, same as every night, when an explosion outside propelled him to action; Slade grabbed the crossbow at his side and kicked his front door open. Hmph. Broke the lock. Might regret that later. He flattened himself against the wall, out of sight, and trained his sights out of the doorway. Only the crossbow's front stirrup was outside the house now. He poised his finger over the trigger. God, I love military weapons, he thought, as he inched his head far enough to see outside. The group outside was not what he expected to find.

He looked from face to face, gauging if they were a threat. Spotting Hafoc to the side of the building, Slade motioned him to join the others. Sheeit. Just what is this? The scruffy boy, elf and pig looked guilty as hell; the Aamonwelp and his "fancyman" buddy looked surprisingly reliable, and the rest, well, mostly harmless, except for that rogue casing the house, he mused. Best find out why the hell they're all creeping around in the first place.

"So. State your business." Slade held the crossbow at eye's height, aimed at Hafoc.

Autumnus smiled, disentangled himself from Lou, and stepped in front of the others. The crossbow turned to aim at him. He stopped abruptly and held his hands up. "We have come here to follow clues on the monsters that have stolen children." He put a finger to his chin. "And, perhaps, killed their parents as well. Do you think you could let us spend the night so we can push forward at first light?"

Slade lowered the crossbow. Huh. Really? How is this lot going to deal with the goblins? "I don't know who you are demon man, but what do you plan to do with these monsters when—or if—you actually find them?"

It was Kylia who answered now. "Why, kill the bastards, of course." Her big, childish eyes were unblinking and greener than ever. "Every. Last. One."

Slade felt a hundred years of rage in the small, half-elf's voice. He laughed. Yeh, alright. Why not. "Sounds like you've got a dream for a plan to me. Fine. Come inside, and I'll tell you what I know. Then maybe, maybe, you'll have a chance." He stepped aside to invite them in. But I doubt it.

THIS CHAPTER WAS PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD.COM. IF YOU ARE READING THIS ON ANOTHER SITE, THAT MEANS THIS BOOK WAS PIRATED! PLEASE SUPPORT THE AUTHOR AND READ THE NORTHFELL CURSE BY KAT ISACSON FOR FREE AT WATTPAD.COM INSTEAD. THANK YOU. https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/354915470-the-northfell-curse