Chapter 7 - Farewell, Serencove

The next morning dawned bright and clear, a stark contrast to the tempest of the day before. As Marina began her packing bags in her room, she heard a knock at the door.

"Come in." Marina says.

The door creaked open, and her parents Thomas and Elena, stepped into the room, each of them carrying a small well wrapped package tied neatly with a sea blue ribbon. Their faces were a mixture of concern and pride.

"Good morning dear," Elena said, her voice warm but carrying an undercurrent of emotion. She moved closer to Marina holding out the package. "We brought you something to take with you."

Thomas, standing a bit back, added "it's just a little something to keep you safe and remind you of home."

Marina took the packages, her fingers trembling slightly as she untied the sea blue ribbons. Inside the first, from her mother, was a small pearl locket, Marina opened the locket and inside was a picture of all 3 of them when she was just a child. The second package, from her father, contained an old but well-maintained compass engraved with an "M".

Tears welled up in Marinas eyes as she looked from the gifts to her parents. "Thank you," she managed, her voice thick. "These mean so much to me." She puts the pearl necklace on and keeps her the compass close in her pocket.

"We know you'll do great things out there." Thomas said stepping forward to pull her in for a tighter hug. Elena joined in, and the small family embraced, sharing a moment of quiet strength and love.

After bidding a temporary goodbye to her parents, Marina made her way through the bustling village square. It was more crowded than usual for this time of day. News of Marina's impending departure had spread, and as she approached, her heart swelled at the sight of familiar faces gathered to wish her well.

Amid the murmurs of the crowd, old Mr. Jenkins, the village baker, pushed his way through, a basket of freshly baked bread under his arm. "For the journey," he said gruffly, his eyes betraying his fondness for Marina. She gratefully accepted, knowing the familiar taste of home would be a comfort at sea.

Next came Mrs. Alder, her former schoolteacher, with a stack of books. "To feed your mind as you sail the unknown," Mrs. Alder explained with a wise nod. Each book was carefully chosen to inspire courage and curiosity, traits she had always encouraged in Marina.

Younger children, who admired Marina for her kind spirit, handed her small, hand-drawn maps of imagined lands. They made her promise to find these fantastical places, and she knelt to hug each one, promising to tell them all her stories when she returned.

"Your village hold you with such high regard." Marina rose from a tender moment with the children to find Sam approaching her with a warm smile.

Marina smiled back at Sam, her eyes sparkling with slight sadness. "It's hard to leave," she admitted, "but knowing I have so many people here who believe in me.. it makes the leaving a bit easier."

Sam nodded, his own smile broadening. "You're destined for great things Marina, you need this journey... You may even learn some new things about yourself."

Sam's words hung in the air, carrying the weight of truth and expectation. Marina looked out over the heads of the villagers, her gaze settling on the horizon beyond.

"You're right, Sam. And while I know this journey will test me, I'm curious to see who I'll be when I return." She sighs heavy. "There's something I've been meaning to ask you."

"Oh yeah? What's that?" His face burdened with curiosity.

"Do you think I'm a sea singer?" Marina begins. "When we managed to escape the storm you said you'd heard of sea singers before, but never thought you would witness one."