Chapter 2 - Sweet Dreams

Marina shot up. Another nightmare - they've been happening more frequently. Constant whispers, an endless calling, but she could never make any sense of it.

Marina sighed and turned to sit on the edge of the bed, swinging her legs down until the cold wooden floor met her bare feet. The gentle morning breeze, carrying the scent of the salty sea air, snuck in through her window and brought an instant calm.

As she walked towards her mirror, Marina wiped her weary turquoise eyes, trying to hide the hint of a rough nights sleep. She ran her fingers through her long raven hair that cascaded all the way down her back like a waterfall, detangling any knots that were made during her restless night.

"Good morning, mother" Marina managed a smile as she entered the family kitchen, bending down to kiss her mother's slightly wrinkled cheek. The smell of freshly baked goods filled the entire kitchen.

Her mother turned around, chewing her breakfast slowly as she assessed her daughter's appearance. "Good morning, my dear, did you sleep well?"

Marina hesitated for a moment, her eyes betraying the unease she felt. "Yes, mother"

Elena paused, sensing her daughter's unspoken worries. "Oh, before I forget, your father is down at The Salty Mermaid. He wants you to go and meet him there."

Marina nodded in agreement and made her way out of the cosy cottage she called home.

Strolling along the boardwalk towards the inner village, Marina couldn't shake the feeling of unease that lingered after her dream. The whispers of the sea breeze sounded just like the whispers in her dream.

Marina passed by some charming cottages on her way to The Salty Mermaid, their pastel hues illuminated by the early morning sun. A few early risers greeted her with smiles and waves.

She soon reached the tavern, The Salty Mermaid - the very heart of Serencove. The beaten wooden sign swung, squeaking in the wind. The door was already open, inviting all inside. Marina stepped in; the early morning sea breeze gave way to the inviting aroma of baked goods. The sounds of laughter and the early morning clinking of glasses felt comfortable and familiar.

Thomas sat at a corner table near the window, where sunbeams gently streamed in. He was engaged in an animated conversation with the other fishermen. Marina watched her father, his enthusiasm for their conversations always so infectious. Their eyes met.

"Marina! Come join us!" Thomas signalled for the other men to make room for his daughter.

"I saw her, she was beautiful... I know what I saw Thomas!" John slammed his hand on the table as a sign of protest.

John has been a long-time friend of the family, he's more like brother to Thomas and an uncle to Marina.

"Who did you see?" Marina asked, her curiosity piqued.

"Yeah, go on John, tell Marina what you saw!" Thomas laughed.

"A mermaid." John replied, his voice filled with a mix of excitement and disbelief.

"A mermaid?" Marina echoed. "I don't understand"

Thomas laughs. "I told you, she wouldn't believe you!" He takes a big drink of his black coffee and slams it on the table. "Are you sure it wasn't a dolphin, or even a whale?"

"I told you Tom, she had the most gorgeous blonde hair, the darkest eyes, almost like staring straight into the depths of the darkest sea." His eyes wonder off staring into space like he is caught in some trance.

"Urm, Uncle John?" Marina taps him in an attempt to grab his attention.

John snaps back to reality meeting Marinas gaze.

"I have sailed these seas longer than you have been alive Marina, it was no whale, no dolphin. She was in front of my eyes as clear as you are now.

"But mermaids." She pauses making sure to choose her next words carefully. "Aren't they just legends?"

"Legends are born from truths." John insists. "It wasn't just her appearance, it was her demeanour. She was swimming so fast, singing a lovely tune like she was one with the water."

"Oh come off it John!" Thomas interrupts. "You just read that out of that book!"

"Because of that book, I know what I saw!"

Marina watches the exchange between her father and Uncle John. Torn between scepticism and belief. She has always enjoyed listening to her father's and Uncle Johns tales of the sea, it is often the reason why her father invited her to The Salty Mermaid. The tale of the mermaid is probably the best one yet, even it if does seem a little far stretched.

"John, you cannot expect us to believe that mermaids magically exist now just because of some book." Thomas says, with a hint of amusement in his voice.

"But it isn't just a book filled with fairytales!" John insists with a not so hidden hint of frustration in his reply. "It is a collection of stories, first hand from sailors. It's about their voyages across the oceans they wrote about the wonders of the sea, noting down anything they couldn't explain."

"Like a diary?" Marina questions.

"Yeah I guess you could call it that." Uncle John glances at her quickly then back at her father. "Whether you believe me or not Tom, you do well to pay attention to what I am saying."

Thomas lets out a hearty laugh. "Alright John, whatever you say." He downs the rest of his coffee, which has now gotten cold.

Marina cannot help but wonder about Uncle John's tales. She has always felt such a strong connection to the sea, one that went far beyond the stories she heard in The Salty Mermaid. As wild as John's tales sounds, it sterns a sense of adventure in her.

As the men return to their conversation. Marina makes a promise to herself, she wants to travel across the oceans learning more about what is out there and if there is any truth to Uncle Johns tale, even if that means she has to jump into the ocean herself to uncover what may lay ahead.