Chapter forty three

Luke didn't know how to feel sitting with Rolus alone. He was feeling the hatred, yes, but he managed to dull it to avoid it clouding his judgement. He was not going to let his emotions cloud the fact that his mate was sitting in front of him. That his mate was real and it didn't matter if it was Rolus. He could get past that. He knew now without a doubt that Rolus was not lying. Everyone knew, except him.

He couldn't feel relief because the hatred was clouding it, but he knew that he was relieved. Relieved that Rolus chose to step up and declare him as his mate.

Rolus seemed nervous. He kept on running his hand through his hair, looking this way and that. He never looked at Luke.

Luke was not going to be the first to talk. Rolus had something to say, and Luke was just indulging him.

"I'm sorry," Rolus said, trying to keep eye contact with Luke.

Luke raised a brow, the anger brewing. "You're now sorry? You let a year pass by without saying anything. You rejected me, and now you're sorry?"

Rolus looked uncomfortable. His hair was now messy, a stark difference from before he sat down. "I was not referring to that. I was referring to how everyone bombarded you with our ceremony. I'm sorry."

Luke didn't understand how Rolus could be so infuriating. He didn't think this was worse? It would have been better if he was apologizing for rejecting him or keeping him in the dark about how everyone didn't say anything about them being mates.

"If you want to know everything. I will tell you. I won't hide anything, I promise." Rolus seemed so earnest, so innocent and so, so frustrating and detestable.

Luke gripped the table edge, trying to get ahold of his influx of hateful emotions towards Rolus. He didn't remembering hating Rolus this much. "The sight of you, the smell of you. Just your presence, Rolus. It disgusts and infuriates me. I've never hated a person more than I fucking hate you." His voice was calm, with an underlying aggression.

Rolus blanched, hand over his chest. He looked in pain, but Luke couldn't offer anything as consolation.

It should have brought him joy to see Rolus unravel, but he couldn't bring himself to feel that. He gave Rolus a moment to compose himself. That's the least he could do.

When Rolus put himself together, his eyes were a bit red. Luke ignored that. "The thing that made you lose your memory, it also made you feel deep hate for me."

Luke knew that there was a possibility that the feelings were not his to begin with, but still, it felt like a punch. He didn't know himself anymore. What else has changed about him?

"I understand if this is too much for you. You believe me, right? I wouldn't lie about something like this. You believe me, right?" Rolus looked like his whole life depended on Luke's answer.

Luke believed Rolus. He believed him, and that was the worst. How could he believe a man that rejected him? How could he believe a man who let him live a year without saying anything that they were mates. Yes, he probably wouldn't have believed him, but it was still worth a try. Maybe they would have worked something out, and then wouldn't have spent a whole year apart.

What was he thinking?

"Will you explain everything to me then?" Luke hated himself for asking, but he didn't regret it. He was not getting any younger. As much as he's been obsessing over taking over Rolus' Pack and exerting revenge, he was tirelessly searching for his mate in between. Now that his mate was here, he wanted to focus on ignoring the burning hatred he felt for Rolus. His curiosity also played a factor.

"Yes, of course. Yes." Rolus nodded, relief blatant in his eyes. "When?"

"In two day's time."

Rolus seemed disappointed. Luke wanted time to himself and to digest the information. He also needed to have a talk with his Council seeing as clearly, they liked to keep secrets from him. Worst of all, Tamera had some ceremony with Rolus.