Chapter thirty-one

Rolus relied solely on Luke's scent to locate him. He couldn't use the mate bond because it was damaged.

His heart was beating like crazy, and his gums were itching so bad. He was going around with elongated canines.

When he did find Luke, he found him curled up into a ball under a tree. He was groaning in pain.

"Where does it hurt?" he asked him, crouching down to his level.

"Fuck, Rolus. Get away from me," Luke muttered, voice strained. "Take me back to my Pack."

Rolus sighed, running his tongue over his gums. He felt them pulse, the need to bite something so overwhelming. He placed his hand on Luke's shoulder.

Luke shuddered, pushing his hand away. "You're hurting me. You're burning me," he groaned, crawling away from Rolus.

"Why did you come? Couldn't you have stayed away?" Rolus asked, the anxiety of seeing Luke in pain making him act up.

"You told me to come."

Rolus covered his mouth, his gums pulsing so bad. His canines stabbed his hand, making him remove it. "Please. I'll take you back to your Pack. Come on."

Luke turned around to look at Rolus. "I'm fine. Go and finish with your ceremony."

Rolus didn't know how to tell Luke that he ran away. He was not going back. It was cowardly of him, and he was sure that he created a scandal. That he abandoned his replacement mate. Sierra was going to kill him because she was the one going to do damage control.

Luke stood up, leaning against the tree. He heaved, hand placed above his heart. Rolus felt dizzy. He leaned into Luke, without touching him. His breath fanned Luke's face.

"I don't feel too well," Rolus announced, hand over his mouth.

"I don't feel too well too. Go to your ceremony. I'll be fine."

The close proximity between them made Rolus' wolf stir. It made Rolus feel like the strings that snapped were reconnecting. The longing he felt, coupled with the liquid he drank was starting to drive his wolf crazy.

"What would you do if I marked you right now?"

Luke stopped groaning to stare at him. He frowned. "What?"

"Do you want us to mark each other?" Rolus asked. He knew he was being impulsive.

Luke shook his head, confused. "What about Robert?"

"What about him?" Rolus groaned out, resorting to scratching his gums.

He leaned his head on Luke's shoulder, who complained that his touch was hurting him. Rolus didn't budge. He tried to sniff Luke's neck, but his mate scent was not there. He panicked, his heart plummeting because of the disappearing mate bond. He didn't want that to happen. The mate bond was always a burden, but it was always a part of him.

Now that the feeling of it was gone, it felt unnerving. He placed his head on Luke's shoulder, trying to get that scent. It was gone. It was all gone.

"I can't feel our mate bond," he whispered, voice filled with anguish.

"I'm sorry."

Rolus wiped his tears on Luke's shirt, then raised his head to look at his mate. Luke's eyes were red, and skin a bit irritated. He was weary. Even with all that, Rolus saw his handsome mate, who he almost lost. He was not doing that to Luke again.

The first kiss he landed on Luke's lips was hesitant, testing the waters. When Luke did not resist, Rolus kissed him passionately, savoring the taste of his mate.