Chapter twenty-six

Luke spent the days calling back and forth with Perez, trying to find out more about his parents' position in the Council and how they are like. Perez told him all he knew, but still Luke was not satisfied.

Perez was even annoyed with the endless calls. Luke always called, asking Perez if there was anything else.

"You're starting to become a nuisance, really Babyboy. Five calls in one hour?" Perez snapped.

"Look, I'm sorry. But your parents know something and they have the power to help me and Rolus."

"And like I said, I told you everything I know. If you call me again, I will block you," he threatened.

Luke closed his laptop, exhaling loudly. "You wouldn't."

Perez chuckled. "I wouldn't, yes. But please don't test me."

"Perez, please don't be difficult."

Perez laughed bitterly. "I'm being difficult? You're the one being difficult here. Look, let's not say things that will shatter what is already fragile. Like I said, I already said what I know. Please don't call me anymore regarding this. You've called me enough already."

Before Perez could drop the call, Luke rushed in. "Can you at least arrange a meeting for me with your parents? Please."

The sigh Perez released came from a place of annoyance and tiredness.

"Please. Just one meeting. This is a matter of life and death. Otherwise..." he debated on telling Perez what was at stake.

Perez' interest was piqued by the curious way he replied, "Otherwise what?"

Luke smiled. Perez was still such a big gossip. The smile disappeared when he thought of what would happen in the next few days should his faulty plan fail. "He will take a replacement mate. He's planning his mating ceremony as we speak. It's in five days."

"Wow! Your mate?"

"Yes."

"Should've just rejected that pig and let him die," Perez said, the anger in his tone touching Luke a bit.

"It's not... hey! you're the one who convinced me about him."

"Yeah, but I didn't anticipate that he would be a pig about it."

Luke smiled. "Will you help me?"

Perez took a while to reply, but he eventually agreed.

It was by that time that Tamera knocked on his door, and entered before he could reply.

She looked exhausted. She sat down, putting her head on the table. Luke pitied her.

She was working day and night so that the ceremony was beautiful and up to her standards. She said if she were going to subject herself to the replacement mate thing, it was going to be by her own terms.

Luke stood up and went to her. He massaged her shoulders, trying to at least alleviate the stress and stiffnes of her shoulders.

"How's everything going?" he asked. He didn't want to get involved in the preparations because it pained him to even think about the predicament.

"It's going well. His Pack is lovely." She shrugged. "And oh, Rolus came with me back."

Luke nodded. He didn't really see Rolus when he came around. He's been coming around everyday, but Luke refused to see him. He couldn't handle his presence.

"When are you going back?" he asked, patting her shoulder after he finished and went to sit back down.

"Thank you. That helped a lot. I'm just here to grab a few necessities because I won't be coming back until after the ceremony. It's his Pack's tradition to stay over for the remainder of the days before the ceremony."