Chapter nine

Luke was stressed. More than stressed. He was out of his mind, sick with worry after a day Rolus was stuck. He wasn't able to focus on anything, his mind always going back to Rolus, whether he was doing fine or not.

Even Peter saw his state and offered to relieve him of some of his work. They both sat in Luke's office, with Peter on Luke's chair and working on his laptop.

Young Carl was asleep on the couch. He tired himself out when he kept running around the place when Peter came with him. Diana couldn't look after him because she was busy assisting Macey with training.

The young one was a welcomed distraction for a while, but when he fell asleep, the worry came back in full force.

Luke spent the day in his head, thinking of scenarios of Tamera coming in to announce the tragic news of a possible death of Rolus and Sierra.

_________

When the night came around, Luke had already made up his mind to go to the site. He just needed assurance that Rolus was going to be alright. The distance was killing him.

Luke managed to sneak out of his Pack without being detected. He sneaked to the building, the night hiding him from the rescue team that was camping on site.

He sat on top of the bricks of the collapsed building, drawing his knees to his face and staring into the night. The worry was still there. He thought he'd feel better if he was closer to Rolus' body, even though he was under the rubble.

He put his head between his knees, sighing. The day had been draining, but out here, he felt the pressure lessen. The worry made his day longer and more burdening.

He spent an hour in that position before he heard a car approach. He kept his position, not giving a care that someone might see him and ask endless questions. He heard footsteps approach. The scent was that of Sierra's mate. Guess he wasn't the only one spending the night waiting for his loved one. Not that Rolus was his loved one, but he was someone of importance to him.

"Hello, Alpha Luke. I didn't realize someone might be around," Theo greeted, sitting down a distance away from Luke. His presence was uncomfortable, but bearable.

"I didn't expect you either," he replied, raising his head to look at Theo.

"I was here last night. Been mind-linking with Sierra and Alpha Rolus. Rolus sustained some injuries protecting Sierra," Theo informed.

Luke scowled, not understanding the relationship between Rolus and that leech. He would protect Peter too or someone from his Pack with his life, but Rolus took that to the next level. "Aren't you suspicious of Rolus and Sierra's relationship? If I was someone, I'd assume they were mates," even saying that had Luke boiling.

Theo chuckled, opening a bag Luke didn't notice at first. "Want some beer?" He held up a bottle.

Luke accepted, opening it and drinking.

"I used to at first. They are best friends from childhood. They grew up together since they were just babies. Their parents were close, which made them close. I guess that's just how it is with the Alpha and Beta families. I think sometimes that Sierra puts Rolus before me. She says I'm delusional, but I know she puts Rolus first. If she had to choose between Rolus and I, she'd choose Rolus. That's how I feel," Theo confessed.

Luke felt the pain in his words. "I see it. I'm not trying to rub salt to the wound, but Rolus seems like he'd choose Sierra over his mate too," he said, the clipped tone relaying his bitterness.

The silence ensured, Luke's thoughts biting him. Thoughts about Sierra and Rolus. What if Rolus rejected him because of Sierra? Maybe he was so infatuated with her that he didn't spare his true mate a chance. Who knew, maybe they had a secret relationship. He did remember what Perez told him about the Alphas of Creek Pack being forbidden to accept their mates if they were Alphas. He knew that all too well, but he couldn't help but like to torture himself.