Chapter 22

"You shouldn't think you'll get special treatment because you've come as a handmaiden to the princess. Ost is exclusive to strangers, and the only way to blend in is to marry."

Ana had been married to a rejected Ost nobleman for twenty years, and she still didn't dare mention that she was a stranger.

She often thought of herself as someone who belonged nowhere.

She had long since left her homeland, and no nostalgia remained.

But she hadn't completely put down roots here.

The ties of kinship fade with age. She only wrote to her sister Joan every few months.

-I've come to teach a child who's going to Ost as the princess' maid. There's a bit of a story here.

When Ana read about Frea in Joan's letters, she was both intrigued and annoyed.

There must be a reason she mentioned it in her letter.

She interpreted it as a request to look into it.

With her sister's dignity, she couldn't pretend she didn't know. Eager to get the homework she didn't want to do done, she called Frea over.

"I'll set you up. But don't expect an early marriage if it's a decent family, and there'll be quite an age gap. If you look a little lower, there might be a place for you."

Being a princess's handmaiden and following her to other countries was a no-brainer.

It is difficult to marry a good man when you come from a poor family and have little money.

There were no opportunities to meet.

Attending even a single lavish soirée requires a hefty sum.

However, Ost offers more prospects than Lehen in this regard.

As a member of the princess's retinue, you'll have ample chances to mingle with Ost's elite.

Some may even seek you out intentionally.

"Is it the dictates of the household or the individual's desires? If it's solely the former, I can facilitate your integration into a count's household based in the capital."

In the absence of a response, Ana raised her gaze.

For a moment, she felt a peculiar sensation.

The woman before her wore an unexpected expression.

Seated placidly, she bore a gentle smile.

"Thank you for your gracious offer of assistance, Countess. Though you may find me impetuous, I am in no rush to wed."

Ana fixed Frea with an intense stare.

Her eyes bore into her, as if peering into her very soul.

"And if I may dare to request, I would ask for patience. I have yet to demonstrate my merit to the Countess."

"...Are you not interested in meeting potential matches?"

"Matchmaking carries great significance for the Countess, and your efforts deserve acknowledgment and gratitude."

Ana let out a short laugh.

"I don't force anyone who doesn't want to, but let's be clear about this: I did offer to help."

"Yes, Countess. I will not forget your favor."

"What favor."

"I have a knack for telling small talk. That's why Her Royal Highness sought me out as a companion, so feel free to call on me whenever it's convenient for you."