Chapter 16

"I cannot divulge specific details as the investigation is ongoing, but he has committed sins."

As per the bishop's account, the Herm temple had been engulfed in a schism for a considerable duration.

"...It's a shame that we've had to welcome guests under such unsavory circumstances. In fact, the situation inside this place is complicated."

The schism originated over a decade ago when a priest arrived at the Hermitage.

"He professed to have heard the voice of a mighty god, declaring himself a true seeker tasked with disseminating the will of the divine to the world."

Opinions within the temple diverged sharply: those who aligned with the priest's beliefs and those who opposed them.

Marku belonged to the latter faction.

"Numerous priests departed from the Temple of Herm due to his influence."

"Why have you kept that fact hidden?"

Gerald questioned, and the bishop replied with a quizzical look.

"We cannot allow a decade of discord to tarnish the reputation of Herm, painstakingly built over centuries."

Gerald opened his mouth to say something, but when he saw the look of condescension on the bishop's face, he shut it.

"Would it be possible to meet the priest who came ten years ago?"

Diete asked, and the bishop said with a hint of anger.

"He only stayed for a year and then he left, but everything has changed since then; even after he left, the priests who followed him created their own faction and made a mess of Herm!"

***

The long-awaited wedding day had dawned.

Seven years following initial discussions of marriage, the princess of Lehen and the prince of Ost were finally united in matrimony.

Their union symbolized a potent alliance between the two nations.

Ten days preceding the wedding, the capital buzzed with festivity, as numerous nobles from Ost traversed the border into Lehen to partake in the celebration.

The wedding extravaganza surpassed even the grandeur of the King's nuptials.

"I've heard the king spared no expense."

"His affection for his sister knows no bounds."

But the king made his sister, whom he loved so much, the sacrifice of his arranged marriage anyway.

Everyone remained silent about the cold reality.

The wedding ceremony commenced at dawn and concluded by midday.

It was agreed that the ceremony would transpire in Lehen, with the couple retiring to Ost for their first night together.

As soon as the ceremony was over, Princess Emily was to board the carriage that was to leave for Ost.

The whole process of the marriage was the result of diplomatic negotiations between the two countries.

A colorful carriage procession set off, with the prince of Ost escorting his bride.

Emily was accompanied by three handmaidens, including Frea.

The four rode together in the same carriage.

It was the role of the three maids to keep the princess entertained on her carriage ride.

The other two maids, Ellie and Rachel, were usually the ones who traveled with her.