08.

"you look great, babe." nathan kissed the top of his girlfriend's head as he fixed his own dress shirt. indie stood next to him, eye - ing her reflection in the mirror, smoothing out the edges of her dress she decided to wear for karen's official baby shower. "i'm excited to meet your friends, they sound like great people."

"they are," indie responded without hesitation. she leaned her head on his shoulder, taking a deep breath. "you'll like them a lot and they'll like you back because you're amazing."

guilt. she couldn't help but feel it, she deserved to feel it. she could let nathan know about the kiss, it would shatter his sweet british heart, he was everything a girl could ever want in a man but indie made a mistake.

"god, how did i get so lucky to meet you?" nathan whispered in her ear, he linked their fingers and kissed her knuckles before walking out of her room to meet the hemmings' in the living room, she looked at herself once more before preparing herself to go to michael's house.

"the question is, how did you end up with someone like me?" indie whispered to herself.

x x x

the couple arrived hand in hand, the shower was in full swing as michael's aunties and uncles were laughing with karen who had her hand on her stomach. karen noticed the coupe and gestured for them to walk over. "indie! it's so nice of you to make it! not that you had any choice..." karen joked, she looked at the boy next to her. "well who's this?"

indie tugged nathan forward, "i wouldn't miss it for the world, mrs. clifford, you know that. this is my boyfriend, nathan. he's from england."

"good afternoon ma'am, you have a lovely home." nathan stuck his hand out, karen beamed at the so very polite gesture.

"my my, you are too kind! your parents raised you right, it's nice to finally meet you. michael has been going on about you two, especially nathan here."

nathan took a glance at his girlfriend who was smirking. "oh? i didn't know that--well--i can't wait to meet him and all of indie's friends."

"he's out back with the rest of the crew, i'll see you all later for the reveal, dolls." karen bid her goodbyes to the couple before walking away to greet more guests.

indie led them to the backyard, his hand in hers. she spotted the crew just as she stepped outside, they were sat around a large round table, luke, michael, ashton, gemma, ashley, an empty space, calum and an empty space.. "hey indigo!" michael was the first one to notice their presence. he waved them over, the seating arrangement a little awkward. indie had no choice but to sit next to calum and nathan had no choice but to sit next to ashley.

calum mentally cheered at the smart plan he had made up. he had pulled up a chair in between ashley and him and told ashley to put her handbag there when in reality, he wanted to sit next to indie but she didn't have to know that.

"hey guys," indie greeted them all once they were seated. "this is my boyfriend nathan, the one you've all been talking about."

michael stood up, not hesitating at all to give nathan a friendly man hug. "man, i finally get to put a face with your name. it's nice to meet you, i'm michael but you can call me any time." a wink was shared between the two. "i'm gay by the way, just thought i'd say that first."

everyone took a turn introducing themselves to nathan, indie was super grateful no one had mentioned anything embarrassing about her. when food was served they started eating and got into their own little conversations. indie was on her phone, blocking out everyone who was talking amongst themselves (even nathan) until she felt a hand brush against her exposed thigh from underneath the table, she jumped at the contact, her knee bumping against the surface underneath the table.