58 Hawk

Claire's POVThe sudden turn of events not only shocked me, but even Evans wore a look of astonishment on his face. But just a second later, Evans' expression turned cold, and his gaze toward me became even more intense and menacing. "You...""She already told you, get out of the castle," Hawk interrupted, suddenly brandishing a sharp dagger against Evans' neck from seemingly nowhere."Your Highness actually assigned you to Claire," Evans remarked, surprised at Hawk's intervention."I'm not an object," Hawk replied expressionlessly, but the grip on the dagger tightened instinctively. "I'm giving you five seconds. After that, I'll personally carry your body out of this castle.""Fine," Evans responded, fully aware of Hawk's reputation and determination.After Hawk released him, Evans picked up his fallen hat from the ground, then turned to bow in my direction. "Well then, our lesson ends here for today. See you next time, Claire." Evans spoke as if taunting me.But before I could retaliate, Hawk's eerie countdown echoed in the spacious study, "4."Evans' face stiffened, and with a disdainful snort, he turned and left the room.After Evans departed, I finally let down all my defenses and breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Hawk.""It's my duty.""But still, thank you for getting rid of that annoying man."I managed a forced smile towards Hawk, "But now I'd like to be alone for a while. Could you please leave, Hawk?"Ignoring my request, Hawk remained in the room. "No," Hawk suddenly paused, staring into my eyes as if confirming something, "we have class.""Class?" I momentarily couldn't comprehend. "Oh, you mean self-defense? I'm sorry, Hawk, I'm a bit tired today. Can we reschedule...""No," Hawk interrupted firmly.I looked at him, blinking, "Please?"But Hawk remained rooted to the spot like a statue in the study. "No, Claire, you're too weak. You need to study harder."I felt a surge of frustration and resentment after Evans' barrage of insults, compounded now by Hawk's assessment. "So even you think I'm not good enough, not worthy of being Luna, Hawk?"But Hawk paid no heed to my anger, only looking at me with calm eyes, like still waters. "Whether you can be Luna or not is not for me to decide. What I want to say is, if you are truly strong enough, Claire, then the one to drive Evans away wouldn't be me, because you could easily refute his b.ullshit with your own strength."Hawk's words left me stunned for a moment. "You're right, Hawk," I sighed, "I'm sorry for burdening you with so much unnecessary work.""Don't apologize, Claire. The strong don't apologize."Hawk paused again, his expression turning peculiar. "... Friends don't apologize either."Hawk's awkward and shy demeanor made me elated. "So, are you saying we've become friends, Hawk? I've been wondering when I would hear those words from you!""Hmm," Hawk coughed, embarrassed by my enthusiasm, "Let's go to the usual spot, don't waste any more precious time.""Sure."I gathered my spirits and followed Hawk to the lakeside outside the castle. Compared to the sunny day we first trained, the overcast sky made the scenic lake look unusually oppressive and heavy, much like my current mood. And once again, I found myself worrying about my and Louis' future."You're distracted," Hawk's voice interrupted my thoughts.I glanced at Hawk's dim eyes, trying to justify myself, "No, I just feel like the weather's a bit gloomy today.""Is that so?" Hawk raised an eyebrow at my excuse, "Too bad your enemies won't choose their moment to attack based on the weather. So, concentrate, Claire. You have a lot to learn in the art of defense.""Okay," I nodded, "I'm ready, let's begin, Hawk."As soon as I spoke, Hawk lunged at me with a wooden stick he picked up from the ground, like lightning striking. I instinctively twisted my body, narrowly avoiding his first strike. But before I could feel proud of my evasion, he launched another attack, and this time, I couldn't deflect it."Concentrate, Claire!" Hawk shouted as his assault continued, "Stay focused, and you'll see my movements clearly!""I understand!" Under Hawk's pressure, I summoned my speed and strength after taking a hit.But just as a strong gust of wind came at me, I agilely ducked, evading Hawk's attack. But to my surprise, while dodging Hawk, I accidentally stepped on some loose gravel. With my balance compromised, I was about to fall."Ah!" I screamed, instinctively closing my eyes."Claire!" Hawk's voice rang out urgently, "Are you okay?""I... I'm fine, Hawk.""You've been distracted all day," Hawk observed.I sat up, bewildered by Hawk's assessment."Why? Did I do something wrong?""No! It's not about you," I hastily assured Hawk, revealing all the pent-up resentment and frustration hidden deep inside me."I just... feel a bit jealous of Maria. She seems so beautiful, so accomplished, and even Louis once regarded her as his mate...""Maria?" Hawk's expression immediately darkened at the mention of her name. "I don't like that woman.""Why?" I asked, curious about Hawk's sudden aversion. His personality, though somewhat temperamental, rarely displayed such strong dislike towards anyone."Her scent is too complicated. I don't want someone like her near Prince Louis."Hawk's response was succinct, but it left me even more puzzled."Scent? Complicated?" I shook my head, confused. "I don't understand, Hawk.""As werewolves, each person has a unique scent. My strength lies in identifying everyone's scent to predict if they pose a threat.""Wow," I was immediately intrigued by Hawk's revelation. "What about my scent?""Hmm," Hawk turned his head to ponder for a moment, "It's hard to describe your scent, but it's different from Maria's."I looked at him, puzzled."You won't understand even if I tell you," Hawk said awkwardly, "It's getting late, let's go back.""Alright."