57 Royal Secrets

Claire's POV

As I realized Evans was deliberately provoking me, I calmed down.

"So what?" I reined in my emotions, glaring coldly at Evans. "She willingly left Louis for Liam. Even if she's exceptional and possesses Luna's qualities, do you expect your future king to marry his brother's wife?"

"I've never entertained such a thought," Evans immediately denied my accusation. Even as he bowed slightly to me, there was still a hint of amusement on his face.

"I don't have the authority to make decisions for His Highness. But... aren't you curious why Maria, after breaking Louis's heart, could smoothly become Liam's mate, even giving birth to Chris, the only heir at the time?"

Evans's counter-question instantly grabbed my attention.

Indeed, I harbored great curiosity about Maria. What kind of charm did she possess to captivate two princes, risking the scandal of being with her brother-in-law?

My hesitation signaled an opportunity for Evans. Standing there, he seemed pleased, continuing his narrative.

"No one can decide for the princes, but one person can influence their decisions. Undoubtedly, Maria is charming, but she couldn't sway the strong bond between the princes. Behind the scenes, it was King Buchan, their father, who orchestrated everything."

"What?" I stared at Evans in astonishment, trying to discern any clues from his expression, but his face revealed nothing.

"I don't understand. Why would the king do that?!"

"Because of Maria's lineage."

My outburst made Evans smile again. Even his tone seemed more pleasant.

"Maria Kosovo hails from The Dark Forest Pack. She inherited all the wealth from her father, the Alpha of the Dark Forest Pack."

Evans paused, seemingly relishing his knowledge of the royal family. "But being an Alpha's daughter alone wouldn't have propelled Maria into the royal family. It was a rumor that helped her."

"A rumor? What kind of rumor?"

"The rumor goes that there's a mysterious power in the Dark Forest, residing within its members. This power is prophesied to overturn werewolf royalty."

As Evans spoke, his gaze suddenly fixed on me, his lips curling into a smirk.

"Tell me, Claire, if you were a member of the royal family, what would you do upon hearing this rumor?"

"I... I..."

Overwhelmed by the sudden influx of information, I couldn't respond in time. But Evans didn't wait for my answer. He turned away, providing his own.

"If it were me, I'd eliminate anyone who heard this rumor, and every living creature in the Dark Forest."

With that, Evans paused again. Turning back to me, he observed my reaction.

"Are you alright, Claire? Your breathing... seems a bit rapid."

I gripped the armrests of my chair, glaring back fiercely. "Cut the act, Evans."

"Very well, then I'll continue the mysterious tale."

Despite my displeasure, Evans continued.

"Of course, I was just expressing my thoughts. Our merciful old king wouldn't have issued such a bloody command. Instead, he found the location of the Dark Forest and, upon finding the few remaining inhabitants, even offered aid to the Alpha, hoping to help sustain the ancient pack. Coincidentally, the Alpha of the Dark Forest was also a grateful man. As a token of appreciation, he offered his only daughter to the king. And that girl was..."

"...Maria."

Distracted, I muttered her name.

Evans remained silent. He clapped lightly, using the applause as a conclusion to his bizarre story. But for me, it was far from over. I stared intensely at the man before me, launching my conclusion.

"The reason the king didn't exterminate the Dark Forest members was that he struck a deal with the Alpha. As long as Maria bore a child with royal blood, the rumored mysterious power would be at the royal family's disposal... That's why Maria could marry Prince Liam after breaking up with Louis."

"Bingo!" Evans chuckled softly. "Congratulations, you've figured out the underlying reason. Seems you're smarter than I thought, Claire."

Although Evans praised me, his gaze held a mocking tone, ridiculing my ignorance and naivety."That doesn't prove anything," I retorted harshly, keeping my emotions in check. "Maria married Prince Liam and bore Chris. The king's goal was achieved. Nothing will change between Louis and me."

"Do you really think so, Claire?"

Evans seemed to sense my vulnerability, his contemptuous gaze becoming more pronounced."While the old king has passed, the old queen remains, not to mention the Elder Council of the kingdom."

As Evans spoke, he moved closer to me. He halted only when our safe distance was breached, then bent down, his dark eyes piercing through my feigned strength.

"As Alpha's daughter, I assume you have some political acumen, right? Do you think, with just Chris, the royal family would be satisfied? If Prince Chris isn't the legendary child with the mysterious power, then who should bear the blame? You, Claire?"

"That's enough!"

I rose from my seat, stopping Evans's threats. "Get out of my castle, Evans!"

"Calm down, Claire. I'm not your enemy. I only hope you can..."

Suddenly, a sharp glint flashed across Evans's face.The next moment, a vivid red streak appeared on his pale face. Blood flowed from the slender wound, dripping onto the wooden floor.