56 A Family Tutor

Claire's POV

Sunlight streamed in through the window as I rolled over, yawning groggily and reaching out towards the empty space beside me.

"Morning, Lou—"

My voice trailed off abruptly as I realized the bed was empty. Sitting up, I scanned the room but found no sign of Louis.

Where could he be?

Just as I pondered, a knock sounded at my door.

"Awake, Claire?" Alfred's voice came through.

I quickly straightened my pajamas and replied, "Yes, come in."

"Were you wondering about Prince Louis's whereabouts?"

Alfred smiled faintly, already directing the servants to bring in breakfast as he answered my unspoken question.

"The prince left early for work. He didn't want to disturb your rest, so he instructed me to wait until you woke up to deliver the news along with your breakfast."

"Oh." I nodded, somewhat taken aback by the news. "Does he have any other messages for me?"

"Yes, Claire. Prince Louis mentioned that a family tutor would be arriving today."

"Really? When?"

"Around ten in the morning."

Alfred caught the flicker of panic in my face and reassured, "Don't worry, Claire. His Highness also instructed that the tutoring should only begin after you've finished your breakfast."

"But it's nearly ten, isn't it?"

Alfred blinked, his smile still in place. "He can wait."

Although Alfred said that, I made quick work of my breakfast. After all, I volunteered to learn how to be a Luna, and punctuality should be a quality of an outstanding Luna.

I didn't want to leave a bad impression on anyone.

"I hope I'm not late, sir."

As I caught sight of the figure standing in the center of the grand hall, I lifted my hem and hastened my steps down the stairs.

"Of course not, Miss."

This voice...

Before my brain could catch up, my gaze collided with the turned figure of Garfield Evans.

"Why you?"

"It seems I'm not the ideal family tutor in your eyes, and for that, I apologize."