38 - The Prince

Miraadhya

I am wearing a teal blue saree with intricate designs on it as an attendee helps me with the strings on my blouse.

I don't usually wear a blouse and the saree and veil is enough to cover myself but mother insisted on wearing a blouse because the Prince was from the west and in their culture the women wears a blouse as well which currently I am finding extremely uncomfortable.

"Ahh" I hiss in pain as the attendee tightens the fifth string behind my blouse which forces me to harden my body.

A heavy gold jewellery atones my neck, bangles on my hands and a maang tikka through my centre partition.

I look myself at the mirror and see the heavy jewellery I am covered with. I gulp as I see myself from head to toe in a very unsure manner, I have never worn such heavy jewellery let alone such royal garments and to see myself like this was astonishing.

"This suits you! Finally you are able to wear such luxury, if this would have been the case I would have come here way earlier" Maa says and helps me with the veil, she gets extra attentive as she helps me to get ready.

"You can opens those anklets I have better one" she says eyeing my feet as she starts looking for another pair.

"No!" I say suddenly and hold my veil for support. "I like these and I think it makes a pleasant sound " I say tapping my feet twice for her to listen to the jingles.

She hums and eventually nods. "Very well then, come let's go" she holds my hand and takes me out.

The walk towards the main hall seems excruciatingly less as I reach there within seconds, my head is low as the veil covers half of my face. My presence his heard and I can sense King Abhijeet approaching.

"Pranam Bordi" (Hello Sister) he addresses my mother.

"Hello Miraadhya, you look very good." He says and I manage to nod.

"Come you both,  the prince has come here alone with his soldiers and he is eagerly waiting to meet her" he says and my heart beat increases.

I slowly walk towards the resting area which is across the main hall and upon reaching I could hear the slight shuffle in the air, the sudden hushed voice and a feet of a man sitting on the big chair.

"Welcome Prince Vijayy of Visamgarh to Kimgdom of Gauda. It's my honour to present you my niece, Princess Miraadhya Thakur Aacharya"

My uncle introduces me and I scowl that my name has that man's surname to it.

Maa makes me sit on a chair which was towards his right, while King Abhijeet sits on the opposite chair, towards his left while mother sits beside me. I collect my mahavr inked hands together and sit nervously.

"I think coming here few days early was worth it" I hear the Prince's voice, I scrunch my eyes suddenly feeling uncomfortable with the choice of his words.

"Yes yes we are delighted that you could make this trip" I hear Maa saying him while he keeps tapping his feet impatiently and I control my urge to look at his face, I was bothered by him for some reason.

"Yes, some urgent matter came up, I also wanted to say that I would like to have the marriage within two days time" he declares and I swear by feet falters with shock and if it was not my mother's tight grip on me I would have miss balanced by now.