32-Meeting the Half Sister

Miraadhya

Saying that The palace of Gauda was beautiful would be an understatement, because it is simply breathtaking. The huge trees surrounding the fortress gave it a perfect scenic view, the yellow hue of the sunset making everything turn gold and sparkle.

The huge gate opens upon our arrival and I peek through the curtains to see a big fountain at the centre. I gently come out of the palanquin, the stiffness in my lower back still hurting but I help my mother and she stares at the fort for a moment. I look in her direction and take in the huge architectural structure around me and I gulp nervously.

"Let's go, it's your home now" Raja Abhijeet says and I feel uneasy hearing those words.

Home?

I am not used to such treatment and cannot help but wonder if it has some hidden motive or are we being tricked again,

"You sure about all this Maa? I am nervous " I say and hold her hand.
She smiles at me and tightenes her grip.

"It was long overdue my child, you deserve all of this"

I shake my head slowly still processing in my mind. I climb the steps to enter through the main door, a huge hallway welcomes us with illuminating path. There were big pillars around me which had very familiar intricate designs.

"These designs—-" I mutter.

"It's the signature designs of the people here, Gauda is known not only for its trade but also craftsmanship " Maa says proudly and for the first time I could see her genuinely happy.

"This is your home Maa" I whisper as I realise the gravity of these words as tears gather in my eyes.

"It's now ours" she says and leads me towards the resting hall.

"You know I would take dance lessons here, my father was against it but my mother helped me to get the best classes" Maa glees pointing me towards the centre. I smile as I imagine her little version dancing and laughing.

"And here I would hide from my mother when she tried to make me eat"
she adds and points at a huge and wide pillar, she laughs at the memories.

"Like you used to run behind me" I say and she smiles. "Yes I suppose now I understand how much I troubled her" she said and we both start laughing.

We laughed through our tears and I realise our laugh matches, a warmth spreading my heart, it had been years since we laughed like this.

Maa hold my cheeks.
"I want you to know Miraadhya, in all these years I have suffered a lot but you were the source of my joy." she whispers as my lips tremble.

"But you must have resented me" I ask slowly. She must have been devastated to know she had a child with a man who she didn't want.

She shakes her head. "When you came to this world , you gave me a purpose to live, I had lost hope before you- I felt weak and depressed but when I held you in my hands and your big eyes immediately recognised me I felt the greatest love of my life. And it was you. I am blessed to have such a wonderful and talented daughter like you Mira and it breaks my heart knowing you have suffered way too much" she says in her own hoarse voice and I hug her , tasting my own tears.

"And that's the reason I want to see you happy, I have called a great prince from the West, he saw your picture and is keen for marriage" she says and I look at her with hesitation.

Sending my discomfort she holds my arms. "It's a good match, please don't say no, this alliance will strengthen us more, I want us to be powerful now so that no one tries to hurt us again" she adds and looks at me in hope.