38. Mr Baek

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

My eyes beam open because of the bright light piercing through my window. I cover my head with my pillow, trying to go back to sleep again. I fail miserably. 

I sit up in my bed and take my phone out. I have three missed calls from Logan.

"Is he back already?" I mumble to myself.

I really wanted to talk to him about my dad. I won't go to Italy unless he tells me he's actually trying to find a way to put my dad in prison. 

"Ms Kwon, where's my father?" I ask the maid as I step into the living room.

"He's having breakfast with some of his colleagues" she puts some food on the table. "Your mom also just left with Ivy to take care of her enrolment"

"Oh right" I sit down at the breakfast table. "Will you eat with me then?"

"Ms Dami, I mustn't.."

"Sit down. I hate eating alone"

The maid hesitates, but eventually sits down. I push some food to her so she doesn't feel like holding back from eating just because of me. 

Apparently she has a daughter and a husband. I didn't know that. Her daughter is the same age as me and attends a highschool downtown. Her husband is a teacher and provides for their daughter whenever she's at our house.

"You know what" I put my spoon down. "You can go home"

"What?"

I walk to my bedroom and comeback with my wallet. I take all the cash out of it and hand it to her.

"Go home for the week. Your daughter has vacation too like? Just like me" I push the money into her hands. "Go treat her"

"Ms Dami I really can't. Your parents-"

"My parents are barely home this week. I'll tell them this was my decision"

The maid smiles through her tears. "You're too kind"

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

I step into the bar Logan told me to meet him at. I expected him to call me right after he landed, but he told me he had to take care of something first before he could meet with me.

"Why meet at a bar when I can't even drink" I say as I plop down on the seat next to him. "You expect me to sip chocolate milk in this place?"

"It's nice to see you too" he turns his head to me. "It's been a while. How are you?"

"I've never felt as happy as I do right now. School is going well, the bond between my dad and I has gotten better, Mr Joo is in jail, I talked to Rona again.." I smile. "..I'm so grateful"

"I'm glad to hear that. You deserve to live like every child does" 

I sigh. "But.."

"There is no but" 

"Then why did you tell me that you had something urgent to tell me"

"I changed my mind" he says. "I'll tell you later"

"No tell me" I place my hands around his arm and start shaking him to annoy him. "Please please"

"You know that won't work on me"

I let go of him. "Then when will you tell me? When my life starts going downhill again?"