Zera

I never felt fearful when I began performing as a stripper. Not the elderly gentlemen nor the youthful ones who ogled me with desire and lust as I gyrated on the pole.

Not even Dragon, who occasionally made unwelcome advances, or my envious coworkers who resented the attention and money I attracted from men eager for a dance.

Fear never gripped me in the presence of anyone. I attributed it to my perpetual solitude, a belief that still holds true today.

The only thing that could really shake me was the idea of my mom finding out about my job these past three years. Sometimes I imagine how she'd react.

Austin was sort of right; she wouldn't go breaking things, but I know she'd be disappointed and mad, saying it's not how she raised me.

I've always feared how she'd see me.

Would she disown me or tell me to go to hell, just like my dad did three years ago? And now, as I gazed at her expression, the fear tightened my chest.

Her eyes were swollen, drained of life, and I was certain she hadn't discovered my secret yet.

It was something entirely different.

"Oh my... my baby girl is all grown up," Dad's voice resonated in my ears, drawing my attention away from Mom, whose gaze remained fixed on the floor.

He appeared... fine. I had anticipated seeing a shattered man, someone burdened with guilt for abandoning his family for three years, someone ready to make amends.

But that wasn't the case. He seemed alright, almost as if the past three years had been the best thing to ever happen to him.

He didn't look his finest, but he seemed alright. I was brimming with curiosity. Wondering where he'd been all this time, what he'd been up to, and why he decided to show up now, when everything was finally falling into place for me.

Why did a cruel bastard like him choose to come back?

"Why..." I hesitated, forcing the words past the lump forming in my throat. "Are you here?"

"I returned for you, darling. You asked for me, remember?" He reached out, aiming for a hug, but I sidestepped him swiftly.

"Why would I want you here? Nobody wants a coward around," I retorted sharply, eyeing him with irritation.

He chuckled briefly, applauding sarcastically.

"Don't want your mother to find out you messaged me, huh? Is that it?" he probed, his gaze shifting between me and Mom, whose eyes were now fixed on me.

"What are you talking about? Why would I message you? I have no business with you, Dad, and I don't want any," I replied, my heart rate quickening as confusion clouded my vision.

"Why would you lie, Zera? I'm certain you didn't learn that from me but from your mum. Like mother, like..."

"I told you I didn't message you or invite you back here. You need to leave. Right now," I snapped, cutting him off.

He fell silent and reached into his right pocket, pulling out a phone and scrolling through it.

He handed it to me, and I snatched it, my eyes widening as I saw multiple messages supposedly sent from me, pleading for him to come home because Mom was sick.

"You claimed your mom was terminally ill and needed me. So I came as soon as I could," he explained as I looked up at him.

"I... didn't send these. I would never reach out to someone like you, and terminally ill? You're the last person I'd contact if that were true, Dad," I blurted out, handing his phone back to him.