Gerard

The chilly night air greeted me with a sharp sting as I stepped out of the bar. I had been inside since leaving the museum, seeking solace in a shot.

I retrieved my phone and scrolled through the messages I had sent her over the past week, but there wasn't a single reply.

It had been two weeks since I last had Zera Palmer to myself, except for that day at the sports field.

My chest weighed heavily whenever I spotted her in the hallway or saw her engrossed in discussion with her friend during class.

I attempted to study in the library because of her, something I had never done before, but she either ignored me or left as soon as she noticed me. I didn't want to impose myself on her anymore, especially after the things she said that particular night. However, I sensed she wanted me to do something, something I couldn't quite grasp.

I usually avoided school trips; they weren't my scene. But this time, I decided to go because of her. My heart soared with happiness when I spotted Zera on the bus.

I had planned out how to talk to her and hopefully win her forgiveness during the journey, but my plans were disrupted by a certain blondie.

Austin just kept pushing my buttons, and I was certain I would leave him with a scar on his jaw before leaving Meadow High.

I locked my phone and climbed into my car. I needed to catch one last glimpse of her face before returning to the hotel where I had checked in earlier.

Half an hour later, I parked my car in front of the tranquil guesthouse. The darkness enveloped the surroundings, punctuated only by the sporadic chirping of birds.

Why was it so unnervingly quiet? Had they shifted the guesthouse elsewhere? As I neared the building, I retrieved my phone and dialed Bret's number.

"Where the fuck is everyone?" I demanded the moment he answered.

"We're out here for dinner. What's up?" he responded, and I could hear voices and the clinking of glasses in the background.

"Even the teachers?" I pressed.

"Yeah, maybe. Look, I don't know where Mrs. Ana and the others are, but I'm here with some girls, and damn, they're..."

"Is Zera there too?" I interrupted.

"Zera? No... I haven't seen her. Wait... where the hell is Sarah?" His voice grew distant toward the end, as if he was addressing someone else.

I swiftly ended the call and scanned my surroundings once more before turning to leave, but a particular figure caught my attention, causing me to spin back around.

Long blonde hair gleamed in the darkness, framing a short, petite figure clad in a hoodie as she ran.

"Sarah?" I called out.

"Oh God... thank God it's you..." A sob escaped her as she collapsed to the ground, but I was quick to catch her.
Even in the dim light, her face was clearly visible.

Her eyes were red and swollen, a clear sign of excessive crying, and her body trembled violently from the cold. I glanced behind her, searching for Zera.

"Where's Zera? What happened?" I asked urgently.

"She..." Another sob interrupted her. "It's all my fault. I shouldn't have insisted on going to the woods with her. We went together, and on our way back, she kind of fell into a sinkhole. I tried to get her out, but it was too deep. She's stuck and..." She gasped for breath, struggling to compose herself.

I clenched my jaw tightly as I immediately dialed Zera's number, my fingers trembling with urgency.

"Stay here. I will be back," I said, my voice clipped with determination, and turned to stride away. However, my movement halted abruptly when she seized my wrist, her grip firm and insistent.