Oikawa x f!reader

Requested by emyiiw. Thank you so much for the request!

Warning: Angst with a happy ending

Y/N forgot the most important day of her and Oikawa's relationship so far. She forgot their anniversary. The worst part is she doesn't even know that yet. She has been so busy with work these past few weeks that time just slipped away from her. It wasn't that she forgot the date, she just didn't realize what day it currently is.

Y/N came home from work completely exhausted. It had been a typical day. Well, typical for the past few weeks. Normally she isn't this swamped with work, but these past few weeks have been different. Y/N has been coming home exhausted everyday. She has been tired and out of it, forgetful even. She has been running herself ragged.

Y/N arrived home to find a trail of flower petals leading her to their dining table. The lights were off and the room was dimly illuminated by candles. Y/N's face twisted in confusion. It was an incredibly sweet gesture and very appreciated after the past few weeks she's had, but Y/N couldn't help but wonder what was the occasion.

Oikawa is a romantic man and knows just how to sweep a girl off her feet. But now that he and Y/N have been together for a few years, Oikawa has cut down his number of romantic gestures, making them even more special. Y/N smiled at her boyfriend when she saw him, but confusion was still written all over her face.

"Do you like it?" Oikawa asked smugly. He didn't even need to hear Y/N's answer to know that she did. He has known her long enough to tell. Although Oikawa frequently showers Y/N with romantic gestures, he has never done something on this massive level. He was nervous deep down, despite knowing that she liked it.

Y/N looked around the dimly lit room in awe. She was still dreadfully exhausted, but she felt more awake now. "This is beautiful Tohru," she replied in an airy voice. Y/N wasn't lying, the room looked beautiful. On the table was two candles and a vase of a variety of flowers. More candles were scattered around the room, filling it with a delightful scent that Y/N couldn't pinpoint. It was a mix of scents, but they blended beautifully.

It was perfect, but it all came crashing down in a matter of moments. Y/N couldn't just enjoy the moment, she just had to open her mouth and ask a question that ruined everything. "What's the occasion?" Oikawa's face fell. He furrowed his eyebrows, his beautiful brown eyes narrowing.

"You're joking, right?" Oikawa forced out a laugh but he didn't sound amused. He seemed confused and hurt. Y/N's eyes widened. What had she missed? Why did Oikawa look so hurt by her question? She unconsciously cocked her head to the side in confusion. Oikawa's brows furrowed further when he realized that Y/N wasn't joking.

"You really forgot?!" Oikawa didn't raise his voice, but he spoke with urgency and disappointment. The look he was giving her made Y/N's heart twist. He looked so hurt and disappointed. He wasn't thinking about how busy Y/N has been recently. It hadn't occurred to him that she didn't know what day it was. All he thought was that she forgot. "You've got to be kidding me!"

"Tohru-" Y/N took a tentative step forward. Oikawa's face twisted in anger as Y/N inched closer.

Oikawa tossed the gift he had picked out for Y/N onto the table. "Happy anniversary babe!" He hissed. "Glad to see how much our relationship means to you!"

Y/N's eyes widened. "No," she shook her head. "No," she repeated in a soft tone. Y/N looked at Oikawa in desperation and confusion. "Our anniversary is next week!" She pleaded. Y/N pulled out her phone to check the date to confirm this. Her face paled when the date stared back at her. Oikawa's anger melted away at Y/N's horrified expression.

Oikawa watched silently with furrowed eyebrows. He watched as Y/N shook her head in desperation. Worried washed over him when he saw the look in Y/N's eyes. His anger had completely dissipated. He could think rationally now. Y/N had never forgotten their anniversary before. He thought back to how out of it Y/N has been. It suddenly made sense that Y/N didn't realize what day it was. She has been so busy.

Oikawa closed the gap between them and pulled Y/N into a tight hug when tears started to spill from her eyes. Y/N clung to him desperately. She buried her face into Oikawa's chest. "I'm so sorry Tohru," Y/N cried. She repeated this over and over again. Oikawa reassuringly stroked her hair shushing her.

"It's okay," Oikawa reassured. He pressed a long kiss on the top of Y/N's head. "You've been so busy, I shouldn't have gotten mad. I should have known that you didn't know what day it was. I shouldn't have assumed that you forgot." Oikawa continued to stroke Y/N's hair until she calmed down.

When the tears stopped, Oikawa gently grabbed Y/N's face and pulled her in for a kiss. "I love you, Y/N." Oikawa rested his forehead against Y/N's with his eyes closed.

"I love you, Tohru. I am so, so sorry." Y/N apologized again.

Oikawa kissed her again. "It's okay, Y/N. I'm sorry I got upset with you." Oikawa pulled away from her to grab the present he had tossed on the table. It was a jewelry box. Oikawa carefully opened it and presented the box to Y/N. Inside was a silver necklace. It had a silver, flat volleyball charm on it. Y/N's eyes widened in realization. "My new number is engraved on the back."

Y/N reached for the identical necklace around her neck. Oikawa had given it to her when they started dating during their third year of high school. On the back was his old number. "Tohru," Y/N breathed.

Oikawa smiled down at her. "I thought it was time for a replacement. Do you like it?"

Y/N smiled. "It's perfect."