Atsumu x f!reader

High school crushes are supposed to be something that people get over once high school ends. So why is Y/N so stuck on this one man? She should have gotten over him ages ago. But she hasn't.

It probably doesn't help that she still sees Atsumu occasionally. Although never in person, always through some sort of magazine or billboard.

Back in high school, she and Atsumu had been friends. As far as Y/N can remember, she always had feelings for him. There was no explaining it. There was no significant event that caused her feelings to change from friendship to romantic interest. It just did.

Y/N never confessed though. She believed the feelings would die eventually. Atsumu had enough fan girls as it was, she didn't want to be added to that list. So she simply stayed his friend. That was until they lost contact after high school.

Y/N wasn't sure why she had done it. Perhaps she was torturing herself. But here she was watching a Black Jackals game that she had bought herself a ticket for. It was both a relief and torture to see Atsumu in person again, even if he couldn't see her.

He hadn't changed much. His hair was still blonde and he looked the same height as she remembered. But he had definitely bulked up a little more since she last saw him. Miya Atsumu looked good. He really looked good.

Y/N could see his smile from the stands as he played. It warmed her heart. She was so, so glad that he hadn't lost that smile. That smile he used to give her everyday. When he would lean against the wall, towering over her as he smiled. Y/N missed that. She missed him.

Y/N watched with an excited smile as Atsumu sent up a perfect set. It was bitter sweet seeing him playing again. Although this time, Y/N wouldn't be able to greet him after his game. She wouldn't be able to pull him into a hug and tell him how amazing he had played. She wouldn't be able to see him. Y/N's smile faltered.

Y/N watched as the Black Jackals scored point by point. She watched how the team celebrated after each point. She watched as Atsumu's smile never faltered unlike her own. Before she knew it, tears had welled up in her eyes. Y/N couldn't tell if they were from her joy seeing him again, or the hollow pit in her stomach.

Then the game was over. Atsumu's team had won. Y/N slowly gathered her things, preparing to leave. She didn't see Atsumu look up in the crowd. She didn't see familiarity flash through his eyes when he caught a glimpse of her. She missed it all.

Y/N started to file out with the crowd. But that was when she heard it. "N/N!" Y/N froze in her tracks. Had she heard right? Had Atsumu called out to her like he used to in high school? Had she imagined it?

Y/N rushed out of line and to the railing. She looked down at the court with hope in her eyes. That was when she saw him again. Atsumu was staring up at her with that goofy grin. "Sumu!" Y/N called back. Her face broke out into a wide grin.

Neither of them noticed that the cameras had turned away from the celebrating team and toward the young woman that the Black Jackals' setter had called out to.

"Stay right there! I'll send someone to get you!" Y/N blinked. Atsumu wanted to see her? The thought set loose a flurry of butterflies in her stomach. Atsumu ran off to speak with his coach.

Y/N stayed in her place as she was told, waiting for someone to come get her. And it wasn't long before a formally dressed man appeared at Y/N's side. "Are you Miss N/N?" It sounded strange hearing her nickname come from the mouth of a stranger, but what had she expected. Of course Atsumu would give them her nickname rather than Y/N.

"Yes sir,"

"Follow me." Y/N walked eagerly behind the man. She couldn't believe that Atsumu had recognized her from the stands. Let alone that he had sent someone to get her so that they could talk. The butterflies were in a full flurry in her stomach. "Wait here."

Y/N looked around the empty room. She was now in a private area blocked off from the public. She could see the locker room door. Atsumu was just on the other side. Nerves began to take over. It didn't feel real.

Y/N was left alone, waiting for over thirty minutes. It made sense. The team was most likely having a meeting after the game.

Finally Atsumu poked his head out of the locker room. His brown eyes immediately found Y/N and his face lit up. Atsumu ran at her, pulling Y/N into a bone crushing hug. "I can't believe that you're here."

Atsumu pulled back to examine Y/N's face. His brown eyes landed on her lips for a moment before flickering back up to her eyes. Y/N smiled back at him. "I've missed you Sumu."

"How have you been? I haven't seen you in forever." Atsumu gripped Y/N's hands, keeping her close. Y/N's heart raced, the butterflies in her stomach growing out of control.

"I've been good Sumu. Really good. I work at a publishing company now." Atsumu smiled. He knew that had wanted to work for a publishing company since high school. He was glad that you had achieved your dream in the same way he achieved his own.

"That's fantastic!"

"What about you Sumu?" Atsumu loved the way she said his name. It made his heart pound in his chest.

"I'm great! I love playing with the team. But I really missed you." His eyes softened as he spoke. Y/N knew he wasn't messing around when he gave her that serious expression. Y/N's heart melted.

"I missed you too."

"It broke my heart when you stopped reaching out." Atsumu spoke softly while looking into Y/N's eyes. The smile on her face dropped.

"I thought I was bugging you. You were always so busy." Y/N avoided eye contact, her voice a quiet mumble. She was ashamed to admit how she felt.

Atsumu lightly grabbed Y/N's chin, turning her face back toward him. Atsumu stared at her lips. "Can I kiss you?" He was entranced by her.

"What?"

"Can I kiss you?" Atsumu repeated with a smirk. He loved seeing the way Y/N's face flushed. Y/n slowly nodded. She wanted him to. She really wanted him to. She had for years.

Atsumu cupped her face and leaned in. Their lips moved slowly against one another. Y/N didn't give Atsumu's sweaty uniform any thought. She just leaned into the kiss.

Atsumu finally pulled away. "I always like you N/N." Y/N smiled. Like wider than she had when Atsumu recognized her.

"I always liked you."

Atsumu grinned, leaning back in to peck Y/N's lips. "Then let me take you out on a date."