Oikawa x f!reader

Trigger warning: slight angst/Oikawa's depression with a happy ending

"Haha very funny," Oikawa deadpanned. His squeezed his fiancé's hand a little tighter. He was glad that his teammates were enjoying teasing him because he sure wasn't.

"Okay, but seriously, how did you manage to get someone like Y/N? You're charming and all, but Y/N seems immune to all of it." His teammate cried out. How had Oikawa managed to get Y/N to agree to be his girlfriend all those years ago? It's a bit of a long story.

Five years ago, Y/N and Oikawa were still in high school. Oikawa, of course, was the talk of the school. Everyone either wanted to be him or be with him. And Oikawa was no stranger to dating.

There was one girl, however, who wanted relatively nothing to do with Oikawa. Y/N cared for him as a person and as a friend, but that was it. Or so it seemed at least.

Oikawa, on the other hand, was smitten over Y/N. It was something about the way she treated him as if he wasn't anything special. Y/N saw through his act. She knew that he wasn't this great person to be treasured. No, Oikawa was a broken soul trying to piece himself together again. The Oikawa everyone knew was nothing but a facade.

Oikawa had a plan. He knew just how he would make Y/N fall in love with him. A plan that no one could resist. Oikawa was confident in that fact.

Oikawa saw Y/N out of the corner of his eye. Perfect timing. He ran up to her. "Y/N!" He called out in a playful voice. Y/N turned, her eyes widening when she saw Oikawa running up to her.

"What's up, Oikawa?" Y/N asked casually. A part of her wondered if Oikawa was there to flirt with her as usual, but something looked different about him that day.

Oikawa frowned. "How many times have I told you to call me Tohru, Y/N?" He sounded like a whining child. Y/N couldn't help but laugh.

"And risk angering your fan club? No thank you." When Oikawa's frown deepened, Y/N felt a pang of guilt. "What do you need, Shittykawa?" Oikawa dramatically gasped, holding a hand over his heart.

"You sound like Iwa. Don't you betray me too!"

Y/N rolled her eyes. Oikawa sure did have a knack for the dramatics. He pouted when he realized it wasn't going to get him anywhere with Y/N. Although he should have already known that. Y/N was just as immune to it as Iwaizumi.

"Oikawa, what do you want?" Y/N smiled. A real, genuine smile. It made Oikawa's heart stop. He had forgotten why he was there.

Oikawa slipped on his cocky smirk and leaned against the wall next to Y/N. He reached out to brush a stand of her hair away, but his hand was slapped by Y/N. "Touchy," Oikawa laughed. "I'm here to ask you on a date, Y/N. I have two tickets to the new observatory that just opened. I know how much you love stars so I want to take you. What do you say? Will you go on a date with me?"

The whole hallway stopped to listen in on the conversation. Members of Oikawa's fan club were grinding their teeth and seething. Ever waited for Y/N's response. Although they already knew what she would say. Who wouldn't want to go on a thoughtful date like that with Oikawa? He had specifically picked the observatory for her.

Y/N's smile fell, being replaced by a neutral expression. Everyone was on the edge of their seats when Y/N opened her mouth. "No, Oikawa. Go ask one of your fan girls."

Oikawa's mask cracked for a moment as genuine sadness crept into him, flooding his veins. He covered it as soon as it appeared. Oikawa put on a face that often wore when being insulted by Iwaizumi. "Don't be so mean, Y/N!"

There was a flicker of recognition in Y/N's eyes before she rolled them. Y/N brushed past Oikawa with a disappointed look. "I've got to get to class, Oikawa. Don't make me go get Iwa."

Oikawa tried again the next day, and the next day, and the next day. Each time he was given the same response. Oikawa knew he shouldn't, but he was beginning to take it personally. His friend, Y/N, really did not want to go on a date with him. The only girl that he had any interest in dating. Like seriously dating.

Oikawa had a volleyball game the next day. Y/N was their manager so he knew he would see her again. He planned on trying again. The same plan, no changes. He would talk to her after the game.

But they lost. Oikawa lost. Oikawa felt hopeless and worthless. Like all his bad thoughts came at him full swing. Oikawa sat with a towel over his head. He was sitting in the gym alone.

"Tohru," a soft voice called out. It was Y/N. His eyes widened, she had called him by his first name. Oikawa pulled the towel off of his head. "Not going to ask me out again today?" She teased lightly.

It was like a cord deep inside Oikawa snapped. He looked up at Y/N desperately. His eyes full of vulnerability. "I like you Y/N. I really like you. I have for a while. You are one of the only people that sees past the Oikawa that the world sees. You see me for who I actually am and it doesn't scare you. I'll ask you one last time and then I swear I'll leave you alone. But will you go on a date with me, Y/N? Please, please say yes."

Y/N carefully stepped closer. She silently took a seat on the bench next to Oikawa. He sucked in a shaky breath, mentally preparing himself for her rejection. "Dumby," Y/N's laugh was weak and sad. "Of course I like you too! I've been waiting for you to be honest with me about how you feel. I wanted you to ask me out without that stupid mask you put on for others. All I wanted was to hear how you actually felt about me."

Oikawa looked at Y/N with wide eyes. She was smiling sadly back at him. It pained her to see Oikawa in a state like this. Without thinking, Oikawa leaned toward her, cupping Y/N's face. Their lips connected before Y/N could process what was happening. It was soft and gentle and better than anything Oikawa had imagined because it was real.

Y/N smiled into the kiss and closed her eyes. Yeah, it was perfect.