Ukai x f!reader

The first time that Ukai saw Y/N, he was a second year at Karasuno. He didn't think much of her at first. They weren't close and barely ever spoke to one another. They were just classmates. But things changed when they were reunited years later.

At first, Ukai didn't recognize her. She was a frequent customer at his store, and Ukai had to admit that he had a crush on her. She was beautiful. But they still spoke very little. Things didn't change again until Ukai agreed to be the coach for the Karasuno boy's volleyball team.

As it turned out, Y/N was a teacher at Karasuno. Not only that, but she also helped Takeda out with the volleyball team. When Ukai saw her in the gym, he was shocked. He hadn't expected Y/N to have anything to do with the volleyball team. But there she was, standing in the gym wearing a track suit knowing very little about the sport.

Ukai fondly remembers the way that Y/N smiled at him when Takeda introduced Ukai as Karasuno's new volleyball coach. She had looked so relieved and welcoming. Y/N has been nothing but kind to Ukai, which has only caused his feelings for her to grow. He feels like a dumb teenager crushing on someone but he can't help it. He likes her.

And that is how things ended up where they are today, with the entire volleyball team and Takeda breathing down Ukai's neck. Maybe they wouldn't be if Ukai wasn't so obvious about his feelings for Y/N. "When are you going to ask out Miss L/N?" One of the boys asked. It sounded like Sugawara but Ukai wasn't looking.

Ukai's head snapped up, eyes wide. "I don't know what you are talking about," Ukai played it cool. He didn't want the team knowing. He didn't want anyone knowing. His feelings for Y/N were meant to be a secret. But things don't always work out the way someone wants them to. And Ukai's feelings were not a secret. The only one unaware of how Ukai feels is Y/N herself.

Y/N is a bit clueless. She means well and is a fantastic teacher. But social cues typically go straight over her head. As far as Y/N is concerned, Ukai only sees Y/N as a friend much to her disappointment. Ukai isn't the only one with a childlike crush. Y/N is completely smitten, fighting back a blush every time Ukai addresses her directly.

"I think that you should go for it," Takeda encouraged. Ukai rolled his eyes and huffed.

"Again, I don't know what you are talking about," Ukai repeated. "Now stop slacking off and get back to cleaning up!" The boys rolled their eyes but did as Ukai said. They gathered the volleyballs and swept the floor.

"Don't you think it's time to stop avoiding your feelings? You are a grown man, just tell her how you feel." Takeda lectured. His words may have been cruel, but Takeda said it with a kind smile. His words cut deep. Ukai actually felt ashamed for putting off his feelings. But just because he has feelings for her doesn't mean that Y/N reciprocates those feelings. If he isn't careful about the way he confesses, it could be considered harassment.

"Who are you telling how you feel?" Takeda and Ukai both jumped. They hadn't heard Y/N come back in. She had stepped out to take a call previously which is how the team previously cornered Ukai. Takeda flushed bright red, holding a hand over his heart. Y/N had scared scared the crap out of them. Ukai was just grateful that she hadn't heard more. "Who's the lucky girl, Ukai?"

Inside Y/N was screaming. Of course, Ukai already had his eyes set on someone. Dating at this age can be so difficult and limited. They practically have no choice but to choose a coworker. Y/N sighed. Oh well. "No one," Ukai was quick to answer. He didn't want Y/N to catch on.

"Hmm," Y/N looked skeptical but accepted Ukai's answer. "Are we still on for dinner?" Every Wednesday Takeda, Y/N, and Ukai go out for dinner or drinks. They've been doing this since Ukai joined to be the coach. It had been Takeda's idea.

"Yeah, I'm game." Ukai nodded. Ukai and Y/N looked at Takeda. The awkward teacher let out a nervous laugh and rubbed the back of his head.

"Sorry guys, but I can't make it today. You guys go ahead without me."

It was awkward at the restaurant. Y/N and Ukai did as Takeda said but things were awkward when it was just the two of them. They didn't know what to do or say. Ukai was too busy thinking about what Takeda had said, and Y/N didn't want to be a bother. She wasn't entirely sure what Ukai thought of her.

Y/N wanted to ease the tension so she made a stupid joke. One that hurt her heart. "This is kinda like a date, isn't it?" She asked with a laugh. She wanted to wince at her own words but it seemed to work in snapping Ukai out of his thoughts. It was a stupid, stupid thing to say but it brought a smile to Ukai's face.

"It can be," Ukai said with a grin. He meant it in a teasing way. But upon seeing the way the way Y/N's face flushed, he wasn't sure if it was a joke anymore. Ukai wanted Y/N to play along. Ukai didn't want it to be a joke. And neither did Y/N.

Her heart was pounding in her ears like drums. She blinked at Ukai. "Really?"

"Why not?" Ukai smiled. For the first time, Ukai had a feeling that Y/N returned his feelings. And he wasn't wrong. Y/N does return his feelings.

"Okay!" Y/N laughed a little. "It's a date."