25

"Are you alright?" Clara asks as we make our way to the parking lot

We are done with today's work and Clara waited for me so we could leave together. Iris left earlier because she's going to pick up her mother who is coming to visit her.

"What is it Skylar?" Clara pushes when I don't answer

"It's...Adrian"

"What did he do?" She asks almost immediately, her tone alerted.

"He knows about Ethan"

"I..don't understand" she says confusion clearly on her face so I told her everything that happened earlier in the elevator.

"And he saw the photo and he said he's beautiful, right away. like how-how is that even possible?"  I say, feeling my throat clumps with the urge to cry.  "And it felt so wrong and so right when he said that, because he doesn't even know Ethan is his but he-he"  I choke, the tears finally making their way on my face. Thank God no one is on the parking lot as many staffs have left.

"Skylar-"

"I-I don't know if I should tell him about...what happened between us and maybe I-I should tell him for Ethan's sake but I don't have the courage Clara"  I whisper, a cry getting the better of me.   "I can't and it pains me because my son is craving for a father and I can't give him that".

Clara pulls me into her embrace and I'm hugging her back in no time, crying into her arms and she comforts me.

Every time I think I'm okay I'm reminded of how messed up my life is.

"I would tell you a lot of things Skylar but none of them would explain how strong you are"   My best friend soothes me.   "I've tried to put myself in your shoes and I didn't see myself surviving but here you are, doing great"

My body is trembling as I cry silent in Clara's arms.

"And because you're strong I know you'll get through this and everything will be fine, I know it"  Her voice wavers at the end and I pull away from the embrace to see her own eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"Thank you"  I say wiping her tears as she does the same with me.

"Don't mention. You want me to come with you to pick Ethan?" She asks and I shake my head.

"No, I'll be fine"

"Are you sure? I could have a sleepover"

"It's okay, really"

She sighs. "Text when you are settled, kay?"

"Will do. Bye"  I hop into my car and drive off the parking lot.

******
"Hey Skylar" Danny greets when he sees me wandering around the school. I've been looking for Ethan but he is nowhere to be seen.

"Hey, I haven't seen Ethan. Where's he?"