17

It can't be him

It can't be him.

I close my eyes and shake my head in denial. It can't be Adrian that I'm seeing right now.

How!?

I keep my eyes closed, this isn't real

Adrian is not here, it has to be a dream.

I keep them closed long enough hoping that when I reopen them, I'll be waking up from this dream

I open my eyes and fate is laughing on my face--mocking me and make fun of my pathetic life.

She is boasting on my face how she 'handled' me.
She is toasting to herself--celebrating her 'great' triumph.
She is singing a song saying 'she did it'

She did it.

The pieces of my broken heart land in the pit of my stomach when realization hits me.

I've lost this battle.

Fate is the winner.

Adrian is indeed here.

He is looking at me with a puzzled look, like everyone else in this room--wondering what is my problem.

In my peripheral vision, I see Clara. Her face is full of concern.

Did she know? that's why she was calling me?. The thing she wanted to tell me, was this it?

She wanted to warn me about Adrian being here...I should have picked up.

But would it change anything?

Just a mention of his name would have my body trembling...with fear.

"Are you alright?" He asks, rising from his seat and I subconsciously take a step back. He stops, frown appear on his face.

I don't realize I'm hyperventilating until my boss--Mark comes into my line of vision, his eyes swirling with worry and concern

"Skylar what's wrong?" He asks placing his hand on my shoulder.

I shake my head, too overwhelmed to speak.

Whatever look I have on my face cause Mark to approach Adrian and probably ask for his permission to get me out, realizing that this is serious.

A first tear escapes, leaving behind many that I'm trying to contain. It land straight on the floor as my head is lowered, feeling shame and vulnerable.

I can feel Adrian eyes on me as he speaks with Mark but I don't dare to look up. I'm not brave to meet his gaze, I never will be.

After the permission is granted Mark comes to me. He lead me out as I see Clara rise from her seat and pick the files that I dropped, together they take me to the emergency room.