01

Four years ago

Four years ago

The sound of someone knocking and the call of my name force my eyes to open.
I lift my head just as I feel sharp pain in my head that has me almost cussing

I can't feel my neck.

I was studying when I fell asleep in an awkward position on my studying desk

" Skylar are you awake," it's my dad

" Yah, come in," I answer,my morning voice hoarse and raspy.

He opens the door and when he sees me, he gives me a stern look "not again Skylar," he says shaking his head.

I give him a sheepish smile "sorry dad."

"You need enough rest young lady, how many times do I have to tell you," my dad scolds softly.

Final exams are approaching and I've been spending most of my time studying.
Every night I would spend many hours to revise and when my body wouldn't take it anymore I would pass out on my studying desk.

And when mornings come, my dad would scold me everytime he finds me sleeping in funny positions.

"Just one more month dad, when I graduate i'll have all the time to rest," I try to ease his worry

" You're overdoing yourself Skylar, by the way you're doing it you'll fall sick and how are you gonna do the exams, mhm" He says looking intensely at me.

I step closer and give him a hug. My dad worries too much about me.

"I won't get sick, I promise." He hugs me back and kiss the top of my head.

"I can't lose you too," he mumbles more to himself. This has me instantly feel bad and guilty for making him worried.

My mom died twenty one years ago, soon after she gave birth to me. She had difficulties during delivery, that's what dad told me when I was old enough and asked him about my mother.

I never got to know her or seen her. All I know about my mom is from the old photos and stories that dad tells me. That's it
It has always been me and my dad who refused to re-marry and devoted his all time to raise me and take care of me.

My dad would literally go crazy even something minor happen me.

"Come downstairs, breakfast is ready," he says patting my head and exit my room.

I sigh, collect my books and put them in my bag. Then I go to the bathroom, I take a quick shower and head over to my closet to choose my outfit.
My outfits are always simple and I never wear make up.

Am just simple girl who's trying to fit in.

I was born and grew up in New York where I live with only my dad in our small but cozy house.

I've got one best friend, Clara Richards my only friend since childhood. We grew up together and we were lucky enough to go the same University, NYU.

She and I have a lot in common, always blending in the crowd so we could survive.

Nerds is what you can simply call us.

Too quite and shy to mingle with others.
We are so much dependant on each others. Sometimes I wonder what I would do without her and I can say the same about her. She's like a sister I never had

Don't get me wrong, kids in our college are very arrogant and brats. Not to mention they are very picky, they don't hang out with just anyone. They choose friends whom are very much like them. And so people like me and Clara always end up together as friends.

Thinking of Clara, she'll be here soon to pick me up. My car broke weeks ago and I've been going with her since.

I put on black leggings and very huge white t-shirt to cover my big bottoms, because am not quite skinny.
I have more curves than most girls of my age and my thighs are thick making me feel a little uncomfortable because some perverts won't stop staring. My boobs are quite handful too and my belly isn't flat.

Am not complaining just stating.

If anything, I've learnt to love the way I am. Like would it change anything if I hate myself.? obviously no.

I brush my straight black hair as I stare myself in the mirror. My eyes are blue similar to dad's, the only trait I've got from him. My dad would always tell me that I look a lot like my deceased mom and looking from the photos, am definately my mom's replica.

I put on some black snickers and a white hoodie, taking my bag and my phone I get out of my room.

I find breakfast served on the table and dad patiently waiting for me.

"Took you long enough young lady" my dad teases and I chuckle.

We eat our breakfast and ten minutes later, there's knock on the door.

That's must be Clara, she's always on time

"Come in" dad answers, knowing its her. She opens the door and get in.

"I was just finishing breakfast," I hurriedly say.

"Yah get up already."

She goes to hug my father who hugs her back immediately. Clara doesn't have a father, he left when she was just a child. It's just her and her mother who is invalid sick, she's been diagnosed with lung cancer and she's fighting for her dear life.

"How is my favorite daughter," Dad treats Clara like she's his own, knowing she's doesn't a father and she's craving for fatherly love.

"Very much better Mr. Castillo" She answers and dad frowns

"I thought I told you to call me father".

Clara swallow, clearly emotional "Am sorry I forgot,"

" It's okay, take your time" Dad smiles, assuring her. Clara nods.

"Okay father, your daughters needs to go," I urge to lighten the mood and not wanting us to be late.

" She's jealousy that You're my favorite,here take this" dad teases and hand Clara a packed breakfast.

"Thank you"

"Where's mine," I whine looking at dad

"you had yours already".

"Meanie"

"Nice study girls" dad says kissing our foreheads ,

"Thank you" "bye dad" Clara and I answer.

We exit the house and make our way to Clara's car, heading to college.

Simple but perfect life.

                              A/N

                  Don't say anything yet babes
                  Just keep scrolling
                 A chance, remember