{Chapter 9}

Kisses felt herself shake up as she fluttered her eyes open feeling the sun's due shine down on her making her put her hands above her face to block it.
She let out a soft breath as she pushed her body up. She felt more awake than usual.

The sound of giggling took her thoughts as she quickly turned her head every which way looking for who made that sound. Kisses was sitting in what looked to be a giant clam with a pearl. It had a smooth texture, no cracks laid in it. The clam laid above a rock surrounded by water making Kisses feel more on edge as she brought her legs closer to her.

She nibbled on her lip as she scooted herself a little closer to the edge of the clam and looked over to the edge of the water. Her ears fell closer in front of her face. A little face came over to the front of the water. They both stared at each other before the mermaid suddenly lifted its body up and spit water up into Kisses face like a water fountain with a giggle

Kisses went backwards a bit before hunching their body forward with a whine of unpleasantry as she tried to wipe the water off her face. She puffed her cheeks irritated as she heard more laughter arise.

"Hehe sorry" A voice said which was now revealed to be what seemed to be a preteen girl mermaid. Gills around the three mermaids' neck and fins for ears with slightly green tinted skin. Their bodies were overtaken by a fish that looks like a flying fish that's mouth wrapped around their hips as a form of camouflage.

"You okay?" A boyish voice said coming from Kisses right that was said in between his laughter.

Kisses cheeks still puffed as she pursed out her lips and said an irritated "No."

This only seems to make the young fish to burst into another fit of laughter. Kisses blushed as she tugged on her ears. She found a new dislike for children.

She hated the loud noises they were making, making her feel overstimulated and overwhelmed. Maybe she was getting herself used to the quietness of the forest and home but she couldn't even focus on one voice at a time since they were all speaking at the same time.
"Do you wanna play with us?"

Kisses perked up hearing the voice stand out as the children stared at her in response. Kisses shook her head in a haste before one of the kids lifted themselves on the rock. The teenager first grabbed at her ankle pulling her down into the water. Kisses squeaked as she tried to keep her body on the land of the clam.

Her arms tried to latch at herself as she kicked her legs. She heard the giggles of the mermaids as another one grabbed at her other ankle pulling her down into the water as if trying to drown her.
"Stop it!" She yelled out this being the first time she's used her vocal cords like that in the time that she's been awake.
The water felt cold on her skin, to skin for her own good. As if her body temperature was frigid against the splashes of river water.

She gasped as she was pulled further down into the water. Her dress became soaked as she scratched at the surface to keep herself up float.

"Stop." A yell came out but not from Kisses voice. Kisses was immediately let go with a gasp of the mermaid as she stumbled back on the rock stumbling before laying on her stomach. She tilted her head over to the side to see who the voice was coming from.
She perked up seeing a new face near hers.

The lady had a pointy smile, almost teasing. At least she was smart enough to not pull her underwater though at least. She seemed to be the adult of the group.

"Hey there, Sweetie. Did my friends give you a scare there?" The lady asked, putting her hand in her palm looking at her closely. Kisses nodded as she scratched her eyes from where she felt tears pricking out of her.

The Mermaid laughed in return "Ah, sorry about that. My followers get a little out of control when I'm away." She said with a sway of her hand.
Kisses stayed still for a bit before pouting as she stared at her knees.

More giggles were present just making her more upset. "They were just having fun, don't worry about it," She said with a shrug.
"Actually you do need to come out though, we need to bring you back to the ground from where Lady Ebony brought you."

That made Kisses perk up just a bit as she pulled on her ears. "Ebony brought me here?" She asked nervously.

The mermaid smiled brightly, her pointy teeth showing at Kisses speaking to her. "We're healers, but in your case we couldn't do much. You just needed some rest, you were passed out for two days!" She exclaimed using her hands to show her exaggerated emotions.

Kisses stared off for a bit. Mimi was probably worried about her then, and probably won't let her walk out by herself anytime soon as well. As much as she'd rather be in the forest she didn't want to worry her either. Mimi has been nice to her even when Kisses had no idea what she was doing, the least she could do is not stress her out.
"Hey! You're spacing out." The lady said, snapping her out of her thoughts as a hand snapped in front of her face.

"You're not much of a talker are you?" She said curiously, leaning forward towards her. Kisses nodded embarrassedly, "It makes my throat feel uncomfortable…" She said quietly.

"You should drink more liquids for that then" She requested to Kisses only turning her head away.
"Oh well, no matter. I can do all the talking for us then." She said snarkily as she spread her arms out.

Kisses just stared at her before pouting again at her while narrowing her eyes at the idea of getting back into the water.
The mermaid tilted her head, "You're not still mad about that are you? Come on! I thought we got past that" She whined at Kisses.

"Hey it's not like you really have any other choice, it's either me or staying a rock for the rest of your life." She said smoothly as she tried to persuade her.

Kisses looked around, seeing the other teen mermaids playing in the distance to their side realizing her choices.
She pouted as she slowly moved forward. The mermaid excitedly took her into her arms in a haste making Kisses squeak. Kisses tied her arms around the mermaid's neck making her chuckle.

"Well, aren't you cute? Just keep your arms there while I drift you back okay?" She said confidently to which Kisses only nodded feeling the coldness around her back but, the lady did a good job keeping her above water.