Chapter 57 : This Side of Justice

Start from the beginning

    I know what she means. Less than an hour ago, I was stressed about the press conference, Bianca's and Olivia's arrests, the company, everything. Now, with my wife — and future mother of my children— beside me, the future feels bright and full of promise.

    "So am I," I reply. Leaning over, I drop a swift, gentle kiss on her mouth.

    At least that's what I meant to do. Instead, my lips lingered, moving hungrily over hers. Without thinking, I put my arms around her and drew her close.

    Someone coughs.

    Kate stiffens.

    I pull away reluctantly. Turning to the now open doors of the lift, I see Marcus standing outside, staring at us with both hands in his pocket and an amused expression on his face.

    "You weren't answering your phone," he says. "I was just about to come up and find you."

    "Thank you, Marcus," I say, suppressing a grin. "Let's go."

    Walking up to the press conference hand in hand with my wife wasn't part of the plan, but I don't care.

    "Brilliant idea, having Kate here for this," Marcus murmurs, walking beside me. "I thought you wanted her to stay away from the public for the next few days."

    "Having my wife around is always a good idea," I say, flashing Kate a smile. Turning to Marcus, I lower my voice and add, "Anyway, it's not like anyone can make her do anything she doesn't want to do."

    "Took you long enough to figure that out." He smirks. "Jail seems to have smartened you up a bit. You should arrange to get arrested once a year, at least."

    "Maybe you should try it once. Might do you some good."

    His smirk turns into a grimace. "Thanks, but orange isn't really my color."

    Gigi is already sitting behind the table at the front of the lobby, which has been set up for the event. Beside her sits Tina Osorio, looking slightly nervous. I smile at her, hoping to reassure her, and she relaxes a bit. Gigi herself looks as cool and unruffled as I expected her to be. Very little ever fazes that woman and I take a moment to thank poor deceased Señor Saldana for selling Gigi his company shares.

    "Wish me luck," I whisper to Kate.

    This time, she squeezes my arm to reassure me. "You got this," she says, before letting me go.

    On my way to the lectern, Robbie smoothly hands me a folder. My statement. I went through it so many times today that I'm almost certain I have it memorized. Still, it's best to have it on hand. While I take my position behind the mic, Marcus takes his seat between Tina and Gigi.

    "Hi," I say. "I understand the police authorities have informed you of what they know about the investigations around Marin Elizondo's former board member Nicolas Saldana and the subsequent arrest." I pause. "Arrests, rather."

    This elicited a few snickers from the audience. I can imagine Tia Sylvia and Tia Carmen watching the livestream and sighing in exasperation at what they might consider my inappropriate flippancy during such a serious event. "Today," I continue, "we're ready to give you our official statement regarding the events of the past several weeks. After which, I, along with my Chief Finance Officer Marcus Ryan and two directors from our board, Tina Osorio and Gigi Ramirez, will be happy to answer your questions."

    I've done press conferences a few times before, yet this one was expectedly more difficult to get through. Bianca is my cousin, and as such, I keep my statements about her arrest as neutral as I can.

    A middle-aged woman in a rumpled suit and with sharp eyes behind her eyeglasses asks the first question. "Do you think Ms. Hernandez-Smith is guilty, Mr. Marin?"

    "I have no opinion on that at this time," I reply. "The authorities believe they have grounds to take her into custody, and we are all willing to cooperate in the investigation."

    "So you're fully on her side, then? She is your cousin, after all."

    "I'm on the side of justice, Ms. Jackson. Nicolas Saldana was one of ours. He's served Marin Elizondo faithfully for more than ten years. We will do everything we can to do right by him and his family."

    A Wall Street Journal reporter asks the question I dreaded the most only five minutes later.

"There are rumors of an affair between you and your secretary, Olivia Barnes. Was that how she got involved in Mr. Saldana's murder?"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thank you  for  reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote by clicking  on  the star icon! Next update (Chapter 58 "Post Mortem") will be on Sunday, 21 April 2024.

Subscribers  on my other website get to read chapters in advance . Chapters 1 to 59 ("Post Mortem") are available there now, plus  bonus scenes   and    chapters. Join the  fun   here (pls type the URL  in your browser)  -

https://anselacorsino.com/fmmbb