55•पञ्चाशत्

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm golden hue over the bustling streets of the local vegetable and food market. Stalls lined the narrow path, each one a vibrant display of fresh produce and culinary delights. Minakshi stood before a particularly inviting shop, her gaze fixed on a pile of vibrant oranges.

Dressed in a pristine white top paired with a shimmering golden satin skirt, Minakshi exuded an air of effortless elegance. Her long, dark hair was pulled back into a loose, artfully messy bun, accentuating her delicate features. A tote bag adorned with a whimsical illustration of a bunny nibbling on a carrot hung casually from her shoulder.

Minakshi plucked one of the oranges from the neatly arranged pyramid, its bright color contrasting beautifully against her ensemble. She turned the fruit over in her hands, feeling its smooth texture and inhaling its sweet, citrusy aroma. The market buzzed around her, alive with the chatter of vendors and the laughter of shoppers.

The shopkeeper, an elderly woman with twinkling eyes and a warm smile, approached Minakshi. "Would you like to try one, dear?" she asked, her voice carrying the cadence of a lifelong resident of the town.

Minakshi nodded graciously, her own smile mirroring that of the friendly vendor. The woman skillfully peeled the orange, revealing juicy segments bursting with flavor. As Minakshi savored a slice, her eyes lit up with delight. The sweetness of the fruit was a perfect match for the lively ambiance of the market.

Taking a few more oranges, Minakshi placed them in her tote bag, adding to the eclectic mix of treats she had already gathered that afternoon. Her senses were alive with the sights, sounds, and tastes of the market—a place where the ordinary became extraordinary in the hands of those who knew its secrets.

With a final nod of thanks to the vendor, Minakshi continued her exploration of the market, her tote bag swinging lightly at her side.

"Where's Damru?"

Minakshi heard the lively voice behind her and turned to see Trishul beaming at her. Despite the past feelings she had harbored for him, she now found his presence comforting rather than annoying. She enjoyed the familiar banter they shared, but she was cautious not to reveal too much of her changing emotions.

"He's in school," she replied casually, her eyes avoiding Trishul's gaze as they walked out of the bustling market.

Trishul fell into step beside her, his expression curious. "You didn't go to your job?" he asked, his tone tinged with playful concern.

"No shift today," Minakshi explained, her voice calm as they made their way onto a hilly road. The view of the rolling hills under the sun was breathtaking, a serene backdrop to their conversation.

As they walked side by side, Minakshi stole glances at Trishul from the corner of her eye. His joyous energy was infectious, and she found herself relaxing in his company. The tensions of their history seemed to dissipate in the tranquil surroundings.

Trishul's eyes lit up with determination as he spotted the ice cream stall at the nearby viewpoint. "Wanna have ice cream?" he asked Minakshi, his voice tinged with excitement.

Minakshi, her gaze still fixed ahead, shook her head gently. "I don't want to have ice cream without Damru," she replied softly, a touch of wistfulness in her tone. She cherished sharing such treats with her son.

Trishul's heart swelled with admiration for Minakshi's unwavering devotion to her child. "You are really an amazing mom," he murmured, his words filled with genuine respect.

Ignoring his praise, Minakshi continued walking, but Trishul wasn't deterred. With a mischievous grin, he reached out and took her hand, gently pulling her towards the stall.