44 | Girl Crush

...

"Petals off of flowers,
Did you ever really love me?"

...

From the moment the two girls met, they were smitten

It was love at first sight; they had told themselves. They were soulmates.

It was adorable, really. Two little girls who held hands and blushed whenever they looked at each other- giggling at the flutter in their stomach that never seemed to go away, no matter how much time had passed.

Many would call it love- they would say what the two girls were doing was a relationship. Willow and Sasha would say it was friendship. Because they were friends- just friends. They weren't girlfriends. They just did what girlfriends did.

They had sleepovers, shared a bed- Sasha has practically lived with Willow on some instances. She did chores and pampered her- helped her with everything Willow had asked her to, and even what she hadn't. Sasha was her unpaid therapist and her ride or die, a partner in crime who would do anything she asked in an instant. And she had done all she could to prove it time and time again, right from the very first moment they met. She went above and beyond for Willow, because to Sasha, Willow was her everything. She was her world.

Willow would say the same. She would tell you that she would do anything for Sasha- to keep her safe and sound, protecting her peace as though it was her own. Sasha was like a light in the dark, such a spitfire and yet lighting the path for her so carefully, and in payment, in every way Willow could let the girl in, she did. She let her borderline move in with them, despite her fear of abandonment and that nauseous feeling she got every time Sasha went home for a night, believing with the darkest part of her heart that she wouldn't be coming back. She had fought those thoughts that told her every time Sasha walked out the apartment door it would be her last, and let her come back again and again despite those sickening thoughts, giving her all of her trust and praying to the universe that she wouldn't break it and leave, just like everyone else had. She trusted Sasha. Sasha was her safe-haven. And to protect her haven, she would do anything and everything.

It was a silent understanding between the two girls and those they spent their days with. They weren't dating, but they wouldn't date anyone else. And they weren't in a relationship, but they did all the relationship things. The two girls would live together, but they were just having some sleepovers, as friends do. They would hold hands, hug and cuddle, maybe even share a few kisses- but it was just some fun, a funny story one day as they shared who the memory of their first kisses was with their new friends. It didn't mean anything, even when it did. Because they were just friends, it was nothing more than an innocent little kiss.

"It'll be worthless one day," Sasha had once said, having Willow cornered at a party, hidden in a closet after entering a game of seven minutes in heaven with the hope they would find themselves in this position. "Why not enjoy it while it lasts?"