42 | Truth Or Dare

...

"I shouldn't be jealous,
you aren't even mine."

...

It was no secret that Willow DeLaCruz was not a social butterfly

It was no secret that Willow DeLaCruz was not a social butterfly. In fact, she was quite the opposite.

Willow was the type of person who had a tight-knit group, filled with only the few she loved. There were some stood at the border of her heart, and they were the ones she liked. A little more outside, and they were tolerable, at least. But anyone farther than a short distance away... Well, they were either disliked, strongly disliked, or someone she utterly hated.

And as Willow looks around the crowded room, all she could think was how long the line of hate would slowly start to become.

"Hey!"

Willow startles, jumping as she spins to greet the guy that had snuck up behind her. "Holy- Brett," she breathes, and the boy chuckles. "Hey..."

"Sorry," he apologizes. "Didn't mean to scare you."

"No, no. It's uh.. fine," she assures, giving a small smile as she glances around, feeling awkward under his intense gaze.

"Relax, Willow. I'm not here to hit on you or something." He laughs, passing her to press his back to the wall she stands beside. Leaning back, he sips his drink, making small talk as he looks out at the people piled in the open living room. "You just looked a little lonely, is all. So, thought I'd keep you company. Is that alright?"

She watches him shrug, relaxing a little under his reassurance, and she nods. "Okay," she agrees, matching his stance as she leans into the doorframe of the kitchen. "Sure."

"So, how've you been?" He asks, glancing over at her as he says, "We've missed you at school you know? Haven't seen you around in a while."

She couldn't help but laugh. "Oh, really?" She asks. "'Cause I'm pretty sure that a lot of the people at school either hate me or have no idea I even exist."

"Well..." The boy trails, agreeing that she had a point before adding, "I miss you, at least."

She smiles, giving an awkward, "Thanks?" And he laughs.

"So, are you gonna tell me what you've been up to?" He asks. "Or are you trying out some new mysterious, loner thing?"

"Oh, well, now that you mention it, that mysterious, loner thing does sound kinda fun," Willow says, a teasing grin as she watches the boy roll his eyes.

A playful scoff and Brett hums, "So, what? You're just going to keep me guessing?"

Willow nods, shrugging as she agrees, "Yeah. Guess so."

The boy hums, feigning disappointment as he sighs. "Fine." He agrees. "I guess if that's the case, I'll just mind my own business, and leave you to be all by your lonesome-"