Chapter 39

As they hurried down the corridor, the echo of their footsteps mingled with Stiles' urgent whisper. "I only found one thing online called the Kanima. A were jaguar from South America that goes after murderers," he revealed, his voice barely audible over the shuffle of passing students.

"That thing wasn't a jaguar," Scott remarked, his brow furrowing in thought as they navigated the bustling hallway. Adeline, walking beside them, nodded in agreement. "Yeah, definitely more lizardy," she added, her gaze darting around as if expecting the creature to materialize out of thin air.

"And it's not exactly a murderer." Stiles adds. "But you did see it kill someone. Which is probably why it tried to kill you. And probably still wants to kill you. And probably won't stop until you're dead." Scott says making Adeline glance over at Stiles, her concern evident in her eyes as she squeezed his hand. "You know, some days I really begin to question our friendship," Stiles sighed, his grip tightening on Adeline's hand.

Jackson dropped into the seat behind Scott and Stiles just as the class was about to begin. Leaning forward, he caught their attention. Adeline, meanwhile, sat with Lydia talking a little bit.

The sudden interruption of Coach slamming a book against his desk broke the chatter, drawing everyone's focus to the front of the room. "Listen up," Coach's voice boomed, commanding the attention of the entire class. "Quick warning before we begin our review. Some of you—like McCall—might want to form study groups since tomorrow's midterm is so profoundly difficult I'm not even sure I could pass it. All right, I need a volunteer at the board to answer the first question."

Hands go up around the boys as they continue their conversation with Jackson. Adeline kept glancing over at them.

"Jackson, you have something you want to share with the class?" The Coach asks.

"Just an undying admiration for my Coach." Jackson says. "That's very kind of you. Now shut the hell up." Scott pulls Stiles forward and away from Jackson.

As Lydia stood at the board, chalk in hand, her trance-like state caught the attention of the entire class, including Coach. "Lydia?" he prompted.

With a start, Lydia snapped out of whatever trance had seized her, finding herself suddenly standing at the board, surrounded by expectant gazes. She glanced back at the class and caught the sympathetic smile from the cute junior she had met recently.

"Okay then. Does anyone else want to try answering? In English?" Coach's voice brought Lydia's attention back to the task at hand. She turned to face the board, her eyes widening as she realized what she had been writing repeatedly: "EMPLEHENOEMOS."

A concerned look flickered across Adeline's face as she watched Lydia. Stiles whipped out his phone and discreetly snapped a picture of the strange word on the board. With a swift motion, he manipulated the image, revealing a hidden message: "SOMEONEHELPME."

Adeline glances over at Stiles who holds up the phone showing her the photo.

The trio rushed into the Chemistry Lab, Scott's whispers. "Derek wouldn't kill her without proof," he asserted. "So, then he tests her like Jackson, right? But when and where?" Stiles asks while Adeline glances around her face dropping. Scott follows her gaze before muttering. "I think here and now." Scott eyes the door where Isaac and Erica enter. Seeming almost to glide in, they catch everyone's attention.

 Scott and Stiles swooped in, their chairs scraping against the floor as they positioned themselves on either side of Lydia, like protective bodyguards. Adeline watched them for a moment, her expression a mix of amusement and concern, before deciding to join Allison at another table.

Allison's questioning gaze lingered on Scott, her curiosity evident. Scott, unable to offer an explanation in the moment, gave a quick shake of his head.