Chapter 6

Scott walks out onto the field, Stiles trailing behind him anxiously. As they reach the bleachers, Melissa McCall stands up, waving at them. Adeline sits next to her, a small smile on her face. Adeline notices Lydia talking to Scott, her expression unreadable.

"How's your aunt? I haven't seen her at the hospital in a while," Melissa asks Adeline, who fidgets with her fingers nervously.

"Family problems and things," Adeline responds vaguely, not wanting to delve into the details.

"Ah, I see. She's been acting a bit odd at work, and I wanted to make sure everything is okay with her," Melissa says with concern.

Adeline forces a smile. "Yeah, she's just stressed."

"Oh, they're about to start!" Adeline exclaims suddenly, redirecting Melissa's attention back to the game, relieved to change the subject. Stiles remains with the other benchwarmers, nervously chewing on the fingers of his gloves. On the field, Scott takes his position, ready for the game to begin.

Jackson swiftly scoops up the ball, outmaneuvering the opposing player. Scott moves quickly, trying to get open for a pass, but Jackson passes the ball to another teammate before he has a chance. Scott moves forward to intercept, but Jackson beats him to it, stealing the ball effortlessly. With a swift motion, Jackson hurls the ball toward the opposing goal, scoring a point. The crowd erupts into cheers, with shouts for Jackson ringing out among them.

Adeline glances back, her eyes catching sight of a poster above Allison and Lydia's heads. It reads: "We luv u Jackson!"

"Yikes," Adeline mutters to herself, exchanging a knowing look with Stiles. They both understand that this situation isn't going to end well. As the whistle blows again, Scott moves swiftly, but the ball seems to evade him at every turn. Despite his efforts, he struggles to make any significant plays. Each missed opportunity is met with disappointment, evident on Melissa McCall's face. Adeline places a comforting hand on Melissa's shoulder and offers a soft smile.

"Sometimes a little losing gives the other team hope before we crush them," Adeline says, trying to lighten the mood. Melissa chuckles softly.

Jackson taps Scott on the helmet as he passes by, heading to his position. Scott stands there, his gloves twisting around the stick in his hands, the frustration evident on his face. With each passing moment, it seems like he's on the verge of breaking his stick into little pieces. As the whistle blows once more, Scott looks up, and through his helmet, his eyes begin to glow yellow.

As the teams prepare for the draw, strange noises echo across the field. Low growls and animalistic gasps fill the air, unnerving both players and spectators alike. Scott's body seems to tense with each breath, his posture poised as if ready to pounce at any moment. The other players take hesitant steps back, sensing something unusual.

Reluctantly, Allison helps Lydia hold up the sign, the backside proudly proclaiming Jackson's superiority. Adeline bites her lip, conflicted about whether to intervene or not. She doesn't want to worry Scott's mom.

The referee blows the whistle, signaling the start of the match. Jackson and his opponent grapple for the ball, sending it soaring into the air. In a remarkable display of athleticism, Scott leaps up and snatches the ball with uncanny precision. The crowd erupts in awe as he charges down the field, leaving Jackson in his wake. With a powerful shot, the ball streaks past the goalie and into the net. Adeline and Melissa stand up, cheering loudly for Scott's impressive play. Meanwhile, Stiles nervously follows the coach, clutching one of his gloves and chewing on the index finger.

"To McCall! Pass to McCall!" Coach's voice booms across the field, urging the players on. Furious, Jackson turns to his teammates, frustration filling his features. One of them gestures towards the scoreboard, indicating that Beacon is now down by one with only a minute left on the clock.