Chapter 10

They stopped and picked up Adeline, who sighed and got into the backseat without even questioning it. A few minutes later, Stiles's Jeep pulls up to the chain-link fence surrounding the high school parking lot. Scott gets out of the passenger side, his eyes fixed on the school bus parked on the far side of the lot, with yellow police tape draped around it.

Scott starts climbing the fence but pauses when he notices Stiles and Adeline moving to follow.

"Just me. Someone needs to keep watch."

"How come I'm always the guy keeping watch?"

"Because there's only two of us." Adeline looks between the two offended. "Uh hi, names Adeline and I count as a person." Scott shakes his head at her, and Stiles turns to her.

"You're not staying out her by yourself in the dark."

"I can and I still count as a person." Both boys go back to their conversation making Adeline scoff and walk back to the Jeep.

"Why's it starting to feel like your Batman and I'm Robin? I don't want to be Robin all the time." She leans against the jeep listening to their conversation.

"Nobody's Batman or Robin any of the time."

"Not even some of the time?" Stiles asks.

"Just stay here." He grits out through his teeth as Adeline gets in the jeep closing the door behind her. Stiles watches silently as Scott climbs the fence with ease, then leaps down to the pavement on the other side. 

After a moment, Stiles begins to walk towards the Jeep. He gets in without a word and starts the engine. Adeline, meanwhile, remains silent, her gaze fixed ahead.

Ads? Addieee" He drawls out waving his hand in front of her face. She rolls her eyes at him. "Ads I'm sorry."

"You basically just called me helpless! I'm not helpless stiles. I can take care of myself just fine." She says moving her hand around a little bit before crossing her hands over her again.

"I know, I know, you're not helpless that's not what we meant whatsoever-" Stiles says but is cut off. "Why I am here with you guys? You don't need me." Stiles shakes his head scoffing himself.

"Yes, we do Ads, we need you."

"Why?"

 "Adeline—" Stiles begins, but she interrupts him by holding out her hand and pointing to where the flashlight is.

"Someone here," she whispers urgently. Stiles starts beeping the horn frantically, trying to get Scott's attetion. Scott comes running out, and Adeline quickly crawls into the backseat.

Instead of climbing over the fence like before, Scott launches himself off the pavement and executes a flawless flip head over heels, soaring right over the fence. Both Adeline and Stiles watch with wide eyes as Scott lands on the pavement like an Olympic gymnast.

He sprints towards the Jeep and jumps into the passenger seat, shouting, "Go! Go!"

"Did it work? You remember?" Stiles asks Scott who nods breathless. "I was there last night. And the blood--a lot of it was mine."

"So you did attack him?"

"No. I saw glowing eyes in the bus. But they weren't mine. It was Derek."

"What about the driver?"

"I think I was actually trying to protect him from Derek." He trails off making Adeline eyebrows scrunch together didn't they pick her up after Derek literally taught him how to do this.

"Wait--what? Why would Derek help you remember that he attacked the Driver?"

"That's what I don't get." Stiles glances in his rearveriw mirror seeing Adeline looking out the window. "Hold on. It's got to be a pack thing."