Chapter 17

Stiles' Jeep pulls into the lot. The three get out. Stiles closes the door after helping Adeline. "This is a terrible idea." Stiles speaks frankly.
"I know." Scott agrees, gazing around.
"And we're still going to do it." Stiles mentions looking between the two. "Can you think of something better?" Scott asks him. "Personally, I'm a big fan of ignoring a problem and hoping it goes away." Stiles says, prompting Adeline to raise her hand. "Why are you raising your hand?" Scott asks her, perplexed. "To make sure you hear me when I say this is a really stupid idea."

"Just make sure we can get inside." Scott replies as Stiles pulls out a pair of bolt cutters.

 A pair of headlights approach as Derek's Camaro parks in a nearby space. Derek turns off the engine and exits the vehicle. Scott and Stiles approach him, with Adeline waving from behind them.

"Where's my boss?"
Derek simply responds, "In the back." Scott and Stiles peek inside the Camaro and discover Deaton bound gagged, and blindfolded. "Ow." Adeline muttered. "You owe him a kidnap gift as well now." Adeline informs Derek, who rolls his eyes.

"He looks comfortable." Stiles stats before Scott and Stiles leave for the school building.
"Where are you going?"
"You said I had a connection to the Alpha. I'm going to see if you're correct." Scott says. "She stays." Derek states, causing Stiles to protest until Scott pulls him to the school.

"Here." Derek opens the passenger door and throws a package of cinnamon candy to Adeline.
"Oh thanks!" She says happy as she eats one and puts the remainder in her pocket. Derek stands in front of his car, gaze fixed on Deaton through the windshield.

"I'm staying with Stiles until after my dad's trail." She says this while sitting on the pavement next to the car. Derek does not respond, merely nods. "I'm not sure what will happen after. I can't be with them forever. I don't want to live with my aunt again, but it's better than being placed into foster care." Adeline shrugs as she speaks to Derek. "Why can't you stay with Stiles?" Derek asks her, causing Adeline to sigh. "Well, I don't want to overstay my welcome; they've already helped me so much. The Sheriff is speaking with a social worker about staying in Beacon Hills. We shall see." Derek nods staring at her for a moment before a dreadful roar begins to ring out over the PA Systeam. Derek slowly turns around in shock as Adeline raised her eyebrows.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Derek muttered, his disbelief evident as Adeline cringed inwardly, feeling a sense of dread wash over her. Derek turned to look at her, his expression a mix of confusion and frustration, prompting her to raise her hands up in a gesture of innocence.

"Hey, he's a teen wolf-" Adeline began, attempting to offer an explanation, but she was abruptly cut off by a deep roar that echoed out.

The howl reverberated across the buildings, booming from the speakers and piercing through the night sky. Derek's attention snapped back to the source of the sound, his expression shifting from annoyance to genuine impressment, though it was clear he was still far from pleased.

"Now he's a man wolf..." Adeline trailed off her smile awkward. 

Scott and Stiles burst through the doors of the school and out into the parking lot, only to be greeted by Derek's stern presence.

"I'm going to kill the two of you myself. Are you trying to attract the entire state to this school?" Derek's voice was filled with frustration as he addressed the trio.

Stiles quickly helped Adeline off the ground, while Scott attempted to offer an explanation. "I didn't know it would be that loud," he said sheepishly.

Adeline couldn't help but give Scott a hidden high-five, her amusement evident despite Derek's disapproving glare.