Chapter 1

As the front door to the porch swings open, Scott emerges, clutching a baseball bat tightly. With bated breath, he steps onto the porch, his movements cautious and deliberate. Suddenly, the sound of movement freezes him in his tracks. He stands perfectly still, gripping the bat, his eyes darting up to the side of the house.

A dark figure swoops down from the roof, sending Scott into a terror-filled scream. He almost swings the bat instinctively as an upside-down face appears in front of him.

"Stiles, what the hell are you doing?" Scott blurts out, his voice a mix of fear and confusion, before noticing a curly redhead girl emerging from the bushes, waving awkwardly. "Addie?" Scott's gaze shifts between the two, his expression pleading for answers.

"You weren't answering your phone," Stiles explains from his precarious position caught in the trellis. He continues speaking upside down, as if it's the most normal way to talk. "I know it's late, but you gotta hear this. I saw my dad leave twenty minutes ago. Dispatch called. They're bringing in every officer from the Beacon department and even State Police."

Scott looks to Addie, who nods in confirmation. "For what?"

"Two joggers found a body in the woods," Stiles replies matter-of-factly, rolling his eyes at Scott's question. "A dead body?"

"No, a body of water. Yes, dumbass, a dead body," Stiles retorts, his sarcasm evident even as he's dangling from the trellis. With a swift movement, he pulls himself free and lands on his feet in front of Scott.

"You mean like murdered?" Scott's voice trembles with concern as Stiles gestures for Adeline to join them, which she does reluctantly.

"Nobody knows yet. Just that it was a girl, probably in her twenties," Stiles responds. "Hold on. If they found a body, what are they looking for now?"

"That's the best part. They only found half."

"I don't know if a dead body and 'best part' should be in the same sentence," Adeline grumbles she is in her light pink flannel pajama pants and a gray long-sleeve shirt, having completely forgotten her jacket in her hurry to join Stiles on this morbid adventure.

They load into the Jeep and drive out of the driveway. The beat-up jeep skids to a halt in front of the gated entrance to the Beacon Hills Preserve. Stiles grabs a flashlight and leaps out, with Scott following closely behind. Adeline walks in the middle of them, clearly wishing she were still in her bed.

"Are we seriously doing this?" Scott's voice carries a note of disbelief, "I second the question." Adeline says raising her hand.

"Scott, You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town." Stiles says, his tone exasperated. "Language," Adeline mutters, prompting Stiles to glance back at her before handing her his jacket. "Are you-" He nods before she can finish her sentence.

"I was trying to get a good night's sleep for practice tomorrow," Scott grumbles, earning a slight smile from Adeline. "Right, because sitting on the bench is such a grueling effort," Stiles says sarcastically. "No, because I'm playing this year. In fact, I'm going to make first line," Scott declares confidently as Adeline walks alongside Stiles.

'"That's the spirit. Everyone should have a dream. Even a pathetically unrealistic one." Adeline hits his arm making him smirk at her. "Just out of curiosity, which half of the body are we looking for?"

"Huh. I didn't even think about that," Stiles admits.

"Great," Adeline mutters under her breath, kicking a pinecone out of her way, her hands shoved into Stiles's jacket and encountering gum in one of the pockets.